FAO’s office for Yemen is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing countrywide food, agriculture and rural development priorities under Yemen. It develops and maintains relations with the relevant Ministries at country level. This position is based in FAO Representation in Sanaa, Yemen. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under the overall guidance of FAO Representative in Yemen, the direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative (Administration) and in close cooperation with FAO Units.
Performs a variety of routine administrative and financial duties for the control and maintenance of assets and in the processing of finance/ accounting/ budget-related transactions. The incumbent exercises judgement, identifies errors and supports sound financial practice.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Ensure implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results;
- Full compliance of administrative management and inventory ensuring that proper asset management is performed in adherence to FAO rules, regulations, policies and strategies and that inventory procedures are complied with;
- Provision of inputs to FAO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs);
- Review and authorize as per delegation payments to vendors for goods and services including calculating, inputting and checking payments for correctness and communicating discrepancies to supervisors; verify accuracy of data;
- Support the assets management focusing on achievement of the following results;
- Receiving, inspecting and verification of all incoming equipment, furniture and supplies and scheduling deliveries to users;
- Tagging all furniture/equipment upon receipt from the supplier. Update of non-expendable property inventory record and track movement of furniture piece;
- Entering records in the asset control database (system) ensuring inventory records are up to date and accurate;
- Support to the management on physical assets disposal. Documentation preparation for submission for action; follow up on request and liaise with requesting unit and maintenance for disposal action;
- Support to the annual physical inventory verification exercise by checking the accuracy of records and location of property;
- Preparation of inventory reports as required;
- Liaise with FA Services, SSC, on the matters related to the Assets Management;
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential material, including extraction of data from various sources;
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports;
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit;
- Provide support for effective administrative and financial control in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results;
- Maintenance of administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures;
- Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing with the senior management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Training of staff engaged in the conduct of physical inventory;
- Brief staff members on issues relating to area of work;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the unit. Accurate data entry, presentation of information and client-oriented approach enhances FAO capability in assets management;
- Perform other related duties and activities as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Secondary education. Certification in administration desirable.
- At least 3 to 5 years of relevant experience in administration or programme support service.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Full competency and fluency in English and Arabic.
- National of Yemen.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position (asset management)
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures related to the asset management and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Excellent communication skills
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acts as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitates and encourages open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Learns and shares knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member
- Very good knowledge of the essential elements of a range of finance, assets management, accounting and budget-related activities, including relevant policies, rules and regulations
- Very good knowledge of corporate financial systems
- Very good knowledge of the communication and documentation standards