Water and Sanitation Financial Sr. Specialist or Specialist, Washington
This is an internal opportunity. Only IDB staff and DTCs are eligible to apply for internal opportunities.
Water and Sanitation Financial Sr. Specialist or Specialist – 1900000657
Water and Sanitation Financial Senior Specialist or Specialist
Background. We are looking for a motivated financial specialist willing to join our group to work in the Bank’s Water and Sanitation Division. As part of a multi-disciplinary team, you will identify, prepare, analyze, monitor and evaluate financing requests for projects with and without sovereign guarantee and technical assistance in the following areas: potable water and sanitation, wastewater treatment, solid waste management, integrated water resources, drainage, and flood control.
Mission. Our Division conceptualizes, prepares, supports the execution and supervises the IDB’s operations related to water and sanitation. We seek to ensure universal and sustainable access to high-quality water, sanitation and solid waste management services to promote to the sustainable economic growth of our member countries in Latin America and the Caribbean and offer a better quality of life for their citizens. We work with the country departments to design and execute financial and non-financial programs and evaluate the development results of such interventions. We also strive to improve social development projects and programs, including guiding, crafting and preparing Bank products’, execution, and analysis and mitigation of risks.
What you’ll do:
- Assess the financial strength of water and sanitation service providers and/or local governments to finance investment projects, operation and maintenance through tariffs, debt, and subsidies.
- Perform project financial feasibility for network expansion, infrastructure rehabilitation, and/or greenfield projects for water and sanitation, wastewater treatment projects, integrated water resources, drainage, flood control, and solid waste management.
- Analyze financial statements, perform financial modeling, and provide policy advice in order to promote the financial recovery, or strengthen the financial performance of service providers.
- Review tariff structures, cost recovery and financing mechanisms in order to provide recommendations to promote long-term sustainability.
- Analyze the sector structure, the separation of roles among the policy maker, the regulator, and the service provider, and the adequacy of the legal framework, as well as provide policy advice in these areas in order to strengthen the sector and its possibility of achieving efficiency.
- Structure and promote the development of business models and Public Private Partnerships considering the best practices of corporate governance, as well as the implementation of appropriate regulation to the specific conditions of every country.
- Design monitoring and executing mechanisms within the sector structure and prepare operating manuals in order to ensure an adequate loan disbursement, results attainment, and coordination among relevant entities and partners.
- Lead projects and/or participate as member of multidisciplinary teams in the conceptualization and development of technical responses to the needs of national, regional and local governments, as well as the private sector.
- Design, implement, and promote innovative financial schemes, including green bonds, guarantees, and other blended finance instrument in the water and sanitation sector in the region, in coordination with relevant entities and stakeholders.
What you’ll need:
Education: You hold a Master’s Degree in Business, Finance, Financial Economics and/or related areas.
Experience: You have a minimum of seven years of experience in financial modeling, financial and risk analysis; origination, and structuring of investments projects in the sector (with and without sovereign guarantee), and in billing and collection systems; in-depth analysis of project risk, and credit analysis of projects companies and corporations acting as project sponsors. Experience with the water and sanitation sector and service providers is a plus.
Languages: You are proficient in at least two of the Bank’s official languages (English, Spanish, French, and/or Portuguese). Deep knowledge of French is valuable
Opportunity Summary: Type of contract: Staff position Length of contract: 3 years’ fixed-term Starting date: Upon agreement with you Location: Washington, DC or Country Offices Requirements: You are a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.
Our culture: Our people are committed and passionate about improving lives in Latin-America and the Caribbean, and they get to do what they love in a diverse, collaborative and stimulating work environment. We are the first Latin American and Caribbean development institution to be awarded the EDGE certification, recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality. As an employee you can be part of internal resource groups that connect our diverse community around common interests.
We encourage women, afro-descendants, people of indigenous origins, and persons with disabilities to apply. About us: At the IDB, we’re committed to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
The IDB offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package. Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.
Job: Senior Specialist
Primary Location: HQ-US-Washington DC
Job Posting: Aug 21, 2019, 4:00:00 AM
Closing Date: Nov 26, 2019, 4:59:00 AM
Contact Name – Internal: HR Shared Services