Reference Number: 190650
Position Level: IS 3/4
Department: East Asia Department
Division: Urban and Social Sectors Division, EARD
Location: Asian Development Bank Headquarters
Date Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019
Closing Date: Friday, December 6, 2019 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O.
- 03, paragraphs
- 8 and
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the East Asia Urban and Social Services Division (EASS) within the East Asia Regional Department. EASS promotes livable cities, inclusive growth and balanced development in the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and Mongolia through its operations in sustainable urban development, health, education and social protection. EASS assists developing member countries (DMCs) in developing green and livable cities by providing basic infrastructure such as water supply, wastewater treatment, district heating and addressing urban environmental challenges. The portfolio in health, education and social protection helps to ensure access to and sustainability of quality basic services and assistance for the poor. EASS has a strategic focus on policy support, technical assistance, knowledge sharing and development of public-private partnerships through its lending and non-lending operations. Strengthened synchronization between the knowledge work and products and operations, and producing operational knowledge is also one of the focus areas.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Urban Development Specialist is responsible in identifying, developing, processing, implementing and administering loans, technical assistance (TAs) projects, and non-lending products and services (NLPS), and knowledge work in the urban sector, with particular focus on urban infrastructure and services and urban environmental improvement towards establishing inclusive, green and livable cities (water supply, wastewater management, sanitation, solid waste management, district heating and urban transport), and contributing to the development of strategic policy and reforms in the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and Mongolia. The incumbent will report to Director, EASS and will supervise National Staff and Administrative Staff.
- Works with multi-disciplinary teams and colleagues in the division and department to support the development of policies and strategies in the urban and social sectors in the PRC and Mongolia which will achieve urban environmental improvement and social development outcomes in consultation with relevant government agencies and resident missions.
- Undertakes the identification, development, processing, and administration of loan and TA projects in the urban sector, pushes the innovation and knowledge envelope.
- Coordinates closely with executing agencies and implementing agencies, and development partners as appropriate, to ensure smooth project implementation and achievement of contract awards and disbursements and development results.
- Provides sound advice to executing agencies on project identification, preparation and implementation.
- Ensures ADB assistance to implementation is compliant and consistent with ADB policies, strategies and procedures and safeguards requirements and ensures smooth project implementation and achievement of the intended outputs and outcome.
- Coordinates effectively with colleagues in the division and regional department and in other ADB offices and departments as appropriate and promote the one EARD and one ADB approach as needed.
- Strengthens the linkage between analytical work, knowledge products and operations to ensure that the suggestions and recommendations are evidence based as well as practical and actionable.
- Liaises with governments, NGOs, and multilateral and bilateral organizations to review and exchange information on urban development issues and programs.
- Strengthens dissemination of the outcome and outputs of key knowledge work and TAs and engages in regional and south-south knowledge sharing.
- Effectively interacts with the concerned Sector Groups in SDCC to have an effective two-way flow of knowledge and leverages Sector Group knowledge as relevant and needed to improve operational work.
Relevant Experience and Requirements
- A University degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Urban Management, Environmental Engineering, and other related fields; preferably at post-graduate level or its equivalent
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience related to planning and implementation of programs and projects for urban development, including water supply, wastewater treatment, urban transport, and integrated approaches.
- Familiarity with multilateral institutions policies and procedures.
- Strong analytical, negotiation, interpersonal and communication, and multidisciplinary skills.
- Ability to write effectively, particularly technical papers and studies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- International experience working on complex development issues in several countries.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 3-4.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.