Job ID: 22924
Practice Area – Job Family: Management
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 07/05/2019
Duty Station: Tunis, Tunisia
Education & Work Experience: C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 5 year(s) experience
Languages: Arabic, English
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Bureau: Arab States
Contract Duration: One Year
The post for Libyan Nationals only.
Under the supervision of the Administrative Associate, the Travel Assistant provides travel related services in a large Country Office ensuring high quality and accuracy of work in order to obtain the optimum travel services. He/she analyzes and interprets rules and guidelines regarding travel and entitlements and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to travel. The Travel Assistant closely monitors travel expenditures and internal cost and ensures their timely and accurate billing, settlement and cost recovery. The Travel Assistant promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the delivery of travel services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Support to travel management processes
- Implementation of sourcing strategies
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of UN/UNDP rules and regulations, policies and strategies on travel management.
- Ensure implementation of cost saving measures through negotiation with travel service provider, arrangement of the most economic route and appropriate itinerary.
Supports travel management processes for CO, NEX/DEX projects and at the request of other Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure the creation and accuracy of Atlas T & E Traveler Profile and coordinate with UNDP PS support unit.
- Processing of Purchase orders for travel in Atlas. Ensures availability of budget according to COA.
- Processing of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the travel services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- Follow-up with contracted travel agent to ensure provision of high quality professional service and most competitive price.
- Provision of information to the staff on travel including entitlements, travel route and hotel arrangement.
- Arrangements for security clearance when required.
- Processing travel authorization and travel claims in line with travel entitlements for staff, consultants, UN and visitors, ensuring that the travel arrangement follow the UN rules of most direct route and most competitive prices.
- Hotel reservations for visiting UN/UNDP officials.
- Processing requests for visas for all UN travelers, as well as requests for Resident Permit and Diplomatic Identification Card for international staff.
- Arrangement for airport pick-up of high-level officials and support to expediting of customs and immigration procedures, as necessary.
- Processing of application and renewal of UNLP for UN staff.
- Preparation of routine correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports in accordance with CO SOP.
- Reconciliation of settlements to be paid by the Finance Unit.
Contributes to implementation of sourcing strategy focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Collection and analysis of market situation on travel service area. Conduct of surveys/biddings of travel services.
- Conduct of DSA survey; survey and analysis of most competitive hotel prices and quality of hotel services; submission of report to HQ and distribution of the Hotel list to all UN agencies.
- Preparation of LTAs for travel and hotel services on behalf of UN Agencies.
Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the programme, operations and projects staff on Travel and Expenses (T&E).
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the execution of the CO travel services management in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed. Accurate data entry, presentation of information and client-oriented approach enhances UNDP capability in provision of efficient and first-class travel services.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change a nd Development
Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
UNDP Procurement Certification programme
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary education. Specialized training in procurement and travel desirable.
5 years of relevant administrative experience in the areas of administration, procurement or travel service. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.