Post Level: G4
This post is for local recruitment only.
Vacancy Announcement No:
Date of Issuance:
22 November 2019
Type of Appointment:
Fixed Term (100 series)
12 December 2019
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of UNIDO, as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development in the next fifteen years. UNIDOs mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organizations programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions.
Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDOs four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
This position is located in the Buildings Management Services Division (BMS).
As part of the common services, on behalf of and financed by the VIC Based Organizations (VBOs), BMS on behalf of UNIDO is responsible for ensuring the safe and reliable operation, maintenance and repair of the Vienna International Centre (VIC) buildings and associated installations according to the local building codes and standards, and according to the VIC operating license conditions. To this extent BMS carries out the following functions:
- Develop and propose policies and improvements for efficient, effective and safe buildings management and operations for consideration by the Managing Director, taking into account best practices and standards; promote and proactively implement these policies and standards;
- Manage and administer the operation, maintenance and repair of the grounds, buildings and related installations and equipment of the VIC complex on behalf of, and in close consultation with, the VBOs under the terms of the Memorandum of Understanding on Common Services;
- Provide efficient, effective and quality services to the VBOs for all Buildings Management activities;
- Manage the projects financed by the Common Fund for Major Repairs and Replacements at the VIC on behalf of the VBOs and the Government of Austria;
- Take measures to meet strict requirements in respect of waste disposal, and bacteriological and chemical control of the water and air in the buildings;
- Provide the required support to the catering operations of the VIC;
- Reply to audit observations and ensure the timely implementation of agreed upon recommendations;
- Cooperate with relevant bodies with a view to harmonizing and exchanging information.
At the G4 level the incumbent is expected to perform general as well as targeted processes focusing on basic service delivery and support services within the organizational environment and team. His/Her interventions result in the focused process impact.
The UNIDO Staff Performance Management System reinforces the collaboration within formal units, as well as among cross-functional teams. In this context, the incumbent collaborates with his/her supervisor and colleagues, within as well as outside the Department. Within the formal teams, the incumbent may be expected to backup other team members as required.
Under the supervision of the First Reporting Officer, and under close supervision by the Team Leader, the Technician (Cooling) provides support in functions related to the refrigeration systems including all refrigerant lines, to ensure the safe and reliable operation, maintenance and repair of the VIC buildings and associated installations.
In conformity with the Austrian legislation and in accordance with the Montreal Protocol, the incumbent is part of the Cooling Team that installs, maintains, repairs and tests the special air-conditioning, cooling and cold storage systems and equipment in the VIC. He/she shall work within the Cooling team, other BMS teams and contractors; plan maintenance schedules, set priorities of work together with the team leader; arrange plant shut-down and operations during breakdowns and maintenance; recommend purchase of spare parts, materials and tools, and carries out the following key functions:
- Carry out routine and complex tasks on various cooling units.
- Inspect the VIC Cooling facilities, making repairs and reporting damages to the Team Leader/Supervisor or to the BMS Help Desk.
- Check conditions and functioning of equipment related to the refrigeration systems, by assisting in setting up test procedures for verification of equipment system performance and assisting in making necessary adjustments of the settings of devices/installations, as required.
- Assist in the coordination with contracting firms and colleagues to ensure that the work is carried out with minimum interruptions to the daily operations.
- Assist in the shutting down and restarting of different types of plants and perform any necessary maintenance work.
- Recommend spare parts and materials to be ordered for the implementation of the project.
- Follow all rules and regulations and handling machines, equipment and material in a competent, proper and safe manner and wear protective clothing, such as masks, gloves and shoes when required.
- Ensure the safe storage of building fixtures, equipment, spare parts, tools, materials, consumables, chemicals, etc.
- Keep abreast of the latest technology, norms and standards, and carry out the work in accordance with the local building codes and standards, and the VIC operating license conditions.
- Appropriately record all the relevant information related to the work assigned in the Facility Management Electronic Work Order Platform.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
WE LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY: work honestly, openly and impartially.
WE SHOW PROFESSIONALISM: work hard and competently in a committed and responsible manner.
WE RESPECT DIVERSITY: work together effectively, respectfully and inclusively, regardless of our differences in culture and perspective.
WE FOCUS ON PEOPLE: cooperate to fully reach our potential and this is true for our colleagues as well as our clients. Emotional intelligence and receptiveness are vital parts of our UNIDO identity.
WE FOCUS ON RESULTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: focus on planning, organizing and managing our work effectively and efficiently. We are responsible and accountable for achieving our results and meeting our performance standards. This accountability does not end with our colleagues and supervisors, but we also owe it to those we serve and who have trusted us to contribute to a better, safer and healthier world.
WE COMMUNICATE AND EARN TRUST: communicate effectively with one another and build an environment of trust where we can all excel in our work.
WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND INNOVATE: To stay relevant, we continuously improve, support innovation, share our knowledge and skills, and learn from one another.
Completed apprenticeship in refrigeration systems (e.g. Journeyman Certificate – Gesellenbrief); Master Tradesman Certificate (Meisterpruefung) is an asset, or completed higher technical school (HTL) or equivalent with relevant practical experience in the field of work.
Working knowledge of English and German is required.
Field of Expertise
A minimum of six (6) years of working experience in the related fields of the post. Ability to use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint), internet. Experience with SAP or similar ERP software is an asset.
Good physical condition is required as works involves considerable physical exertion, e.g. walking long distances, standing, crouching, lifting and carrying heavy objects and working on high scaffolds and ladders or in inconvenient positions. Work has often to be carried out at irregular working hours and within short notice.
Credit towards total working experience may be considered on a year-by-year basis, up to maximum of four years, for a first university degree or equivalent diploma, in a field relevant to the post.
NOTE: Eligible internal UNIDO applicants are required to have served at least one year in his or her current post. However, the seniority-in-grade requirements for applying for higher level positions, as per paragraphs 18 and 78 of the HRMF, have been waived.
In the cases of internal applicants, comparable qualifications and experience in UNIDO may be considered to take into account the potential of candidates.
Employees of UNIDO are expected at all times to uphold the highest standards of integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for jobs at UNIDO.
All applications must be submitted online through the Online Recruitment System Correspondence will be undertaken only with candidates who are being considered at an advanced phase of the selection process. Selected candidate(s) may be required to disclose to the Director General the nature and scope of financial and other personal interests and assets in respect of themselves, their spouses and dependants, under the procedures established by the Director General.
NOTE: The Director General retains the discretion to make an appointment to this post at a lower level.