Shelter and Infrastructure Specialist
16 Dec 2019
Shelter and Infrastructure Specialist
Employment band: G – Non-manager
Overall purpose of the role
• Functions as a specialist within sector area in the area of intervention.
• Delivers organisation’s policies and programmes within both sectors.
Facilitation and training of communal management/coordination groups (in-camp management /committees, local authorities, etc.), facilitation and funding of community development plans, initiatives for disaster risk reduction at community level.
Specific WASH responsibilities: Emergency water supply, hygiene item distribution, hygiene information and education, construction of latrines, sewage solutions, installation water points, wells and water storage. Water purification.
Specific Shelter responsibilities: Provision of emergency & transitional shelter, emergency cash grants, rehabilitation of shelter, provision of physical infrastructure like roads, bridges, community centres, irrigation systems or other community structures
Geographic scope: Country (Yemen)
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
Technical management of sector projects
• Identify priorities and technically assist the projects
Monitoring, reporting and development
• Develop program monitoring tools
• Quality control and site monitoring to ensure that services provided are according standards
• Program monitoring as per expected outputs and outcomes
• Monitor financial spending and budgets
• Write donor and management reports
• Continuously update project documentation and files
• Explore new business and partnerships.
• Work closely with Country Directors, Area Managers, and the Grants unit to develop quality proposals, concept notes and budget
• Develop and undertake needs assessments to inform program design and strategic direction. Conduct frequent rapid needs assessment of the situation in the event of emergency in collaboration with other stakeholders to address related problems
• Build capacity of DRC national staff
External coordination and representation
• Share relevant project information with stakeholders
• Participate in relevant coordination meetings
• Participate in Refugees Task Force meeting as needed
As Specialist the post-holder is responsible for the following:
• Responsible for providing specialized knowledge and operational know-how within a specific discipline
• May also have technical line responsibilities, but generally on technical or operational matters
Roles reporting to this
No direct reports
Area Manager, South
Required experience and competencies
• Minimum 5 years of practical experience in Shelter and Infrastructure sector working for an INGO
• Documented skills in project planning and design, drafting, calculation and technical writing
• Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Experience in project development
• Experience working with national partners, local/government authorities, and UN organisations
• Full professional proficiency in English
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
• Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
• Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Master’s degree in civil engineering, water engineering or other relevant field