Posted on : November 24, 2019 Application deadline : December 03, 2019
Senior Manager, Payroll with Finance under the Central Management Services (Adv#276/2019)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
Special Information – icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender or disability status.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Senior Manager, Payroll with Finance under the Central Management Services. The appointment will be made on Fixed Term basis for 1 years which is renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
Duty station Dhaka
No. of vacancy 1 post
Salary Annual Tk. 2,000,810/ -inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances and other admissible benefits.
Benefits/facilities 14.8% provident fund contribution, income tax paid by icddr,b, children allowance @Tk.1,917/- per child per month, festival bonus, contributory healthcare support including dependent spouse and children, group life insurance and subsidized canteen. Transport and daycare facilities are subject to space availability.
Plan, organise and monitor the payroll and claim settlement processes with the objective of processing employee salaries, Full & Final Settlement Claim, Medical Reimbursement efficiently, Employees Tax calculation and payment thereof to the appropriate authority effectively within the policies and guidelines of Finance function, organisational values and guidelines (such as Institutional Governance Framework – IGF and Gender Diversity Guidelines).
- Payroll Management: In liaison with the HR representative, interprets and implements compensation policies and procedures of the HR manual. The Senior manager Payroll will work with the HR representative to ensure changes to the HR policy are captured in the ERP system This position participates in annual budgeting by providing newly recruited staff data to the budget team. Identify risks and review existing controls to mitigate risks. Prepare relevant reports to the board and other stakeholders, Prepare monthly payroll plan; Review and endorse ‘Edit List’ of changes in payroll data (e.g. addition / deletion of employees, deductions against advance); Guide team to update payroll data in ERP system and consolidate information for daily wagers (from timesheets and HR inputs); Validate payroll data (e.g. by generating payroll register, approving journal voucher online, debiting and crediting accounts); Generate salary disbursement report; Secure approvals from Controller and Director – Finance, in accordance with policy and approval guidelines; Direct team to create payment vouchers for different modes of salary pay-outs (e.g. salary-account transfers, bank transfers, cheques); Guide team to liaise with bank for salary release; Communicate credit of salary to employees through route mail; Provision for indirect payroll costs (e.g. insurance, repatriation travel, home leave, education grants) for domestic and international staff as per policy guidelines in order to efficiently execute the payroll process at icddr,b.
- Employee Taxation Management: Propose changes in tax structure to Controller, Finance based on tax guidelines issued annually by the government; Secure approval on ‘System Change Request Form’; Collaborate with System Analyst to modify ERP system based on approved changes; Review ERP system periodically to validate tax calculations of national and international staff; Generate and submit report on monthly tax liability; Review tax calculations prepared by team for the government submission; Secure approvals from Controller, Finance and Director, Finance; direct team to submit taxes as per tax cycle; Provides data for the Payroll cost to Prepare Form 990 by the Senior Manager – Financial for submission to IRS ; Coordinate for necessary approvals and monitor timely submission to IRS; Guide and control preparation and dissemination of tax certificates to staff members upon completion of annual tax cycle in order to timely and accurately remit taxes to the government authorities.
- Claims (Medical Reimbursement and F&F) & Retirement Benefits Management: Review claim amounts of staff of medical bills and full & final settlement calculation; Endorse claim forms and seek necessary approvals as per policy guidelines; Direct team to process claims (e.g. update system, generated F&F or advance vouchers); Provide approvals and voucher processing in the ERP system; Monitor team to submit payment vouchers to Treasury department for disbursal of payments; Provide PF Contribution data to the PF Trustees on monthly basis on completion of monthly Payroll. Coordinate with PF Trustees regularly for information and transactions; Check draft financial statement of PF yearly; Submit reports to Controller, Finance for review to ensure efficiency in management of employee claims and benefits.
- Control & Review: Analyse existing policies and procedures for payroll and claim settlement processes; Identify gaps and improvement areas and suggest changes to Senior Manager – Finance; Set milestones and SLAs for operations; Monitor adherence to procedures, policy guidelines, payroll calendar and SLAs by team; Conduct weekly review meetings; Guide team and resolve queries / issues; Take corrective action; Escalate issues to Senior Manager – Financial and Controller, Finance if required; Circulate status updates periodically with Controller, Finance in order to minimise deviations from set guidelines and norms.
- People Management: Interview candidates and make hiring recommendations, if required; Promote a spirit of collegiality and gender diversity amongst team members and in the organisation; Encourage team members to collaborate across areas; Address and resolve any diversity-related issues; Set goals and conduct appraisals for the team; Set high standards and confront poor performance where needed; Mentor young professionals and prepare them for more senior responsibilities; Identify and reward top performers; Recommend promotions; Take appropriate actions to manage poor performance (such as creating Performance Improvement Plans, coaching, job rotations, planning separations from icddr,b) in order to build and develop an engaged and high performing team.
Education and relevant experience:
- Masters in Finance& Accounts preferably with a certification in Payroll Management. MBA and professional accountant is preferred.
- 8 years of experience with minimum 3 years of experience in managing payroll; preferably in the non-profit sector. Educational qualifications may be considered for the experienced person.
- Accounting Policies, Systems and Guidelines
- Audit Policies and Guidelines
- Salary Taxation Guidelines and Requirements
- Treasury Operations
- Payroll Management
- Risk Management Guidelines and Methods
- Budgeting and Cost Management
- Financial Policies and Reporting Guidelines
- Data Management or ERP Systems
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by December 03, 2019. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application. Any attempt by candidates or their associates to influence the outcome of an application will automatically disqualify the candidate. Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview. All tests and interviews will be held in Dhaka.