Port Vila, Vanuatu
ADB – Asian Development Bank in Port Vila
Reference Number: 190691
Position Level: IS 5
Department: Pacific Department
Division: Pacific Liaison and Coordination Office in Sydney, Australia
Location: Extended Mission in Vanuatu
Date Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019
Closing Date: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions.
Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle.
ADB is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030. ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.This Senior Infrastructure Specialist will be assigned to ADB’s Vanuatu Pacific Country Office (VAN-PCO) based in Port Vila. VAN-PCO is an extended office under the Pacific Liaison and Coordination Office (PLCO) within the Pacific Department (PARD) of ADB. The office aims to increase ADB’s field presence and responsiveness to Vanuatu. It supports and manages ADB’s portfolio, projects, and relationships with the Government and donor partners in the country. The Senior Infrastructure Specialist will report to Regional Director, PLCO and may supervise National Staff and Administrative Staff.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Infrastructure Specialist will lead and support ADB’s role in the infrastructure sector and manage the overall project portfolio in Vanuatu. Specifically, the position will lead and contribute to the formulation and articulation of ADB’s strategies and programs for the infrastructure sector in Vanuatu; assist the government to implement ADB financed operations in the country; identify and process new operations; engage the government and development partners in policy dialogue; support the government’s sector policies and reforms; play a key role in coordinating the infrastructure sector and the overall country portfolio with the government and development partners; and support effective communication with government in knowledge sharing.
Strategy and Planning
- Conceptualize the development of sector assessments, strategies, and road maps for the infrastructure sector, including transport, energy, and urban development in consultation with government agencies and PARD’s sector divisions.
- Contribute to the development of the Pacific regional strategies and programs.
- Conduct policy dialogue to assist the government to prioritize and undertake investment and reforms in the infrastructure sector to ensure efficient use of resources, encourage the participation of the private sector, and maximize economic growth opportunities.
- Coordinate within ADB, and with the government, development partners, and other stakeholders for consistency of approaches, exchange of experiences, continuous improvement of practices, cofinancing, and development and implementation of infrastructure sector investment and reform programs.
Project, Program, and Technical Assistance Processing and Implementation
- Lead and contribute to the processing and implementation of loans, grants, and technical assistance (TA) operations.
- Resolve project, program, and TA implementation issues to accelerate and optimize the implementation progress.
- Coordinate with development partners on projects, programs, TAs, and policy dialogue.
- Provide guidance, advice, and comment to project teams in the design and administration of operations.
- Identify opportunities for collaboration with development agencies.
- Propose and introduce innovative approaches to project design and implementation.
Policy and Project Evaluation
- Identify key policy issues and conduct related policy dialogue with the government.
- Undertake donor coordination, including representing ADB in international donor meetings and exchanging information with multilateral and bilateral agencies.
- Contribute new or innovative approaches to policy and operational issues.
- Establish networks and maintain effective communications with key stakeholders, including the media, academic and research institutions, non-governmental organizations, and civil society to facilitate ADB’s operations and dialogue in the sector.
- Contribute and lead the planning, monitoring, and evaluation of ADB’s infrastructure-related sector operations to achieve and sustain development results.
- Identify good practices in ADB’s infrastructure operations for replication and adaptation in future operations.
- Undertake policy dialogue with government officials and other stakeholders to incorporate good practices to improve the effectiveness of ADB operations.
- Serve as the focal point for coordination with other divisions/departments concerning the infrastructure sector in Vanuatu.
- Lead or contribute to high quality and in-depth knowledge products and dissemination of cross-country experiences on operational, sector, or country issues.
- Participate in internal and external fora.
- Perform the role of the head of ADB’s VAN-PCO.
- Supervise the performance of VAN PCO staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring, and feedback on performance.
- Support the ongoing learning and development of reporting staff.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned in the incumbent’s work plan or responding to the needs of ADB or DMCs.
QualificationsRelevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s Degree or equivalent. University degree in Civil Engineering combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s may be considered in lieu of a master’s degree
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience on infrastructure project design, implementation, and management, combined with relevant and significant experience liaising with government, and supporting project processing and administration in different sectors.
- Proven operational experience in ADB or similar international financial institutions.
- International experience of working in several countries on infrastructure,
- Experience in the Pacific region or small island developing states will be an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong team player with a proven track record for collaborative and cooperative approaches.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Excellent problem-solving skills, strong conceptual, analytical, negotiation and organization skills.
- Proven ability to lead and inspire small teams
Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level
General ConsiderationsThe selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply. Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.