Cordaid is a Dutch, international non-governmental organization which combines expertise in humanitarian aid and development cooperation to realize structural poverty eradication. Cordaid believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. Cordaid’s work focuses is on the value of every human being and the solidarity to provide a dignified existence for everyone. Cordaid Ethiopia has been operating since 2006 in Ethiopia.
Cordaid Ethiopia is recruiting a Resilience Program Officer (RPO) will be responsible for implementation, and provision of guidance to Resilience projects in Ethiopia.
Purpose of the Position
Cordaid Resilience programme envisages delivery of interventions by either direct implementation or through partners. Cordaid sees disaster resilience as the capacity of communities to actively mitigate or prevent disasters, and to prepare for and (if needed) to manage disasters. Cordaid focusses on building the capacity of communities, partner organisations and government structures on disaster resilience process, integrated risk management including Disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation and ecosystem management.
This Resilience Program Officer (RPO) will be responsible for implementation, and provision of guidance to Resilience projects in Ethiopia. S/he will be responsible for assessment, planning, implementation, monitoring, capacity building, reporting and coordination with partners at regional, national and local level. S/he will be based in Addis Ababa, with significant portion of his/her time travelling to other areas in Ethiopia.
Responsibilities and Accountability
Lobby and Advocacy for Resilience
- Communicates the Cordaid Resilience Program message convincingly, along with assessment on the perception and goals of stakeholders.
- Maintains networks and relationships. Engages with relevant authorities to be a significant partner at different levels.
- Coordinates the content and agreements with stakeholders continuously with the Country Office and Global Office and gives unsolicited advice about policy processes to be influenced.
- Critically assesses the international, regional and national agenda, determines the most important stakeholders, and updates the strategic plan for lobby/advocacy activities together with the national Resilience Program partners.
Networking and Resource Mobilization
- Strategically participates and contributes to conferences, meetings and other networking events which are important to achieve the Resilience Program objectives with contribution from Cordaid.
- Assesses key person, organizations and funding possibilities (nationally and internationally) as well as their activities to get their ideas and perspectives aiming at creating a clear image for PfR and Cordaid in order to better position and profile ourselves.
- Creates possibilities to acquire funds of institutional donors, and maintains relations with relevant donors to this effect. Analyses funding profile and plans, and generates recommendations.
Programme Planning and Implementation
- Develops ideas for activities and assesses the expected results and necessary contribution from the various partners in the Resilience Program partnership in Ethiopia.
- Formulates a plan including time and planning and ensures progress, in coordination with Resilience Program partners.
- Ensure that all designated projects are implemented effectively and efficiently (on time and within budget), and ensuring achievement of the set objectives and milestones, as per standards and requirement.
- Support in developing project concept notes and proposals to donors.
- Contribute to needs assessments, and generate sound analysis of needs and response options.
- Manage humanitarian grants and ensure Cordaid humanitarian funds are spent/committed in compliance with the agreed objectives, timeframe and donor regulations.
- Provide support to Cordaid’s local partner(s) to ensure the program implementation is in line with program objectives and budget, and provide necessary support when needed.
- Ensure compliance with the Cordaid and donor standards for program management.
- Ensure mainstreaming of gender and protection into relevant activities.
- Follow project budgets to ensure appropriate spending in accordance with donor commitment and agency policies. Keep track of spending and perform monthly analysis on budget vs actual. Ensure all financial supporting documents are in place for all transactions.
- Assesses the capacity of (new) partners with regard to program content, accountability and compliance with reporting requirements of donors. Where necessary, formulate and implement capacity building proposals and acquires funding for these proposals. Initiates these activities within Resilience Program Framework.
- Support capacity building to staff and partners on Lobby, Advocacy and Communications on resilience-related issues
- Provide guidance for M&E on Resilience to concerned project/partner staff.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Knowledge Management
- Harmonize M&E framework and plans for required Resilience projects.
- Plan and implement monitoring and evaluation activities of the designated projects.
- Ensure that donor contractual requirements are fulfilled, including projects operated by partners.
- Provide oversight, training, data management support (forms, tools, monitoring systems)
- Contribute to the strengthening knowledge management (consolidation of experience, formulate case studies, etc) for the agency and our partners
- Submit all required reports in good quality and in a timely manner (weekly, monthly, and donor specific), and in line with donor and Cordaid reporting standards and deadlines.
- Ensure accountability measures are in place in designated projects to ensure the voices and feedback from beneficiaries and stakeholders are captured and responded.
- Provide feedback and recommendation based on M&E findings. Discuss with concerned Managers to address gaps identified and suggested mitigation strategies.
Administrative and generic activities
- Assist in the logistical aspects of project administration and ensure security of distribution items.
- Participate in meetings as directed and report on proceedings.
- Ensure good documentation of Resilience projects
- Attend to other duties as and when directed by the Programme Manager.
- Improve delivery of timely, quality and effective emergency response program
Qualifications, skills and competencies
- Degree in natural resource management, environmental studies, development, or related field;
- At least 5 years’ relevant work experience in managing projects on disaster risk reduction, resilience building and livelihoods.
- Good understanding on global and national framework on disaster risk reduction, Climate Change Adaptation, Disaster resilience, and Ecosystems management and restoration approach
- Knowledge and experience in implementation of Community-managed Disaster Risk Reduction (CMDRR) projects.
- Profound experience in lobby and advocacy in related sectors, among (inter)national political networks
- Strong communication and awareness raising skills through media, social media, and campaigns
- Practical experience in project cycle management, logframe development, and proposal writing.
- Practical experience of working with local partners and community capacity building.
- Strong reporting, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Willingness to travel in field location with very basic facilities.
- Excellent English writing and communication skills.
- Diplomatic, culturally sensitive, result-oriented, innovative and a strong team player
- Organisational awareness
- Planning and delivery of work
- Working with others
- Analysis and use of information
- Continuous improvement
How to Apply
Interested and qualifying applicants can submit their application letter and CV in English, with email contact details of at least 3 professional references, to the following email [email protected]
Please note due to urgency of the vacancy , the selection will be done on a rolling basis.
CORDAID is an equal opportunities employer and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Job City Addis Ababa