IAEA Vienna, Austria
Remote Monitoring Software Engineer (SG-RMT)(P4)
( 2019/0558 (018675) )
Organization: SGTS-Remote Monitoring Team
Primary Location: Austria-Vienna-Vienna-IAEA Headquarters
Job Posting: 2019-11-05, 6:24:35 PM
Contract Type : Fixed Term
Probation Period : 1 Year
The Department of Safeguards (SG) is the organizational hub for the implementation of IAEA safeguards. The IAEA implements nuclear verification activities for some 180 States in accordance with their safeguards agreements. The safeguards activities are undertaken within a dynamic and technically challenging environment including advanced nuclear fuel cycle facilities and complemented by the political diversity of the countries.
The Department of Safeguards consists of six Divisions: three Operations Divisions: A, B and C, for the implementation of verification activities around the world; three Technical Divisions: Division of Concepts and Planning, Division of Information Management, and Division of Technical and Scientific Services; as well as three Offices: the Office for Verification in Iran, the Office of Safeguards Analytical Services and the Office of Information and Communication Services.
The Division of Technical and Scientific Services (SGTS) is the departmental branch for nuclear and other measurement systems applied in verification activities, containment and surveillance techniques and all verification logistics. Within the Department of Safeguards, the Division of Technical Support is responsible for the development and implementation of the Department’s equipment systems.
The Systems Integration and Coordination Section (TSI) comprises three teams (technical units): Project Engineering; Remote Monitoring; and Seals. This Section acts as the Division’s focal point for broad based support needed by the Operation Divisions in instrumentation data processing and review, remote data collection, development and application of sealing, containment and instrument security technologies, as well as in development and deployment of complex and integrated equipment systems. The Section is also responsible for maintenance, enhancement and quality assurance of the divisional infrastructure for instrumentation development and authorization.
Reporting to the Team Leader, the Remote Monitoring Software Engineer leverages considerable networking expertise and application development skills to programme remote monitoring software, improve the remote monitoring infrastructure and install and upgrade remote monitoring systems in the field.
The Remote Monitoring Software Engineer is: (1) a project manager, initiating, planning, executing and controlling agreed work; (2) a developer, performing relevant engineering disciplines either as a leader and a member of a team; (3) a resource for the Section, taking part in various activities as required, such as quality assurance and continuous process improvements.
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Improve existing remote monitoring systems and/or develop new systems to improve communications and data transfers from remote facilities.
- Carry out requirements analysis, design and development of custom mobile software applications for remote data transfers, monitoring, state of health (SoH) analysis, data review, etc.
- Carry out requirements analysis, design and development of traditional desktop software systems and custom applications/services for remote data transfers, monitoring, state of health (SoH) analysis, data review, etc.
- Design, test, and implement various network configurations using the latest firewall, VPN (Virtual private network), routing techniques, etc. to enhance the existing TCP/IP-based RM infrastructure.
- Provide management/leadership skills to guide other junior staff to develop custom applications.
- Provide expert advice and support to the Operations Divisions, including the provision of field support during inspections and instruction on the use of instruments, methods and techniques, and writing network/system operation procedures.
Competencies and Expertise
Planning and Organizing
Plans and organizes his/her own work in support of achieving the team or Section’s priorities. Takes into account potential changes and proposes contingency plans.
Communicates orally and in writing in a clear, concise and impartial manner. Takes time to listen to and understand the perspectives of others and proposes solutions.
Takes initiative in defining realistic outputs and clarifying roles, responsibilities and expected results in the context of the Department/Division’s programme. Evaluates his/her results realistically, drawing conclusions from lessons learned.
Actively contributes to achieving team results. Supports team decisions.
Helps clients to analyse their needs. Seeks to understand service needs from the client’s perspective and ensure that the client’s standards are met.
Consults with supervisor/manager and takes decisions in full compliance with the Agency’s regulations and rules. Makes decisions reflecting best practice and professional theories and standards.
Ensures that work is in compliance with internationally accepted professional standards and scientific methods. Provides scientifically/technically accepted information that is credible and reliable.
Disciplined, methodical approach to requirements analysis and system design.
Thorough understanding of software engineering processes and the software engineering life cycle.
Knowledge of relational database management software (e.g. SQL Server) and programming (e.g. SQL).
HTML/Web Tools and Technologies
Knowledge of basic cryptographic concepts (e.g. PKI).
Thorough knowledge of programming custom desktop/server user applications and/or services with one or more of C/C++, C#, and/or Java.
Thorough knowledge of programming embedded microcontrollers with C (or C++) and knowledge of programming Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs) with VHDL or Verilog.
Networking experience to include extensive knowledge of TCP/IP, routing protocols, VPN, firewalls, telecommunications and IT security techniques.
Qualifications, Experience and Language skills
- Advanced university degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field. A first level university degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field, with 3 additional years of relevant experience will be considered in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of seven years of experience in Software Engineering and Development.
- Experience with Safeguards equipment support or a related field of work is an asset.
- Excellent oral and written command of English. Knowledge of other official IAEA languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is an asset.
The IAEA offers an attractive remuneration package including a tax-free annual net base salary starting at US $72637 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), a variable post adjustment which currently amounts to US $ 28474*, dependency benefits, rental subsidy, education grant, relocation and repatriation expenses; 6 weeks’ annual vacation, home leave, pension plan and health insurance
Applications from qualified women and candidates from developing countries are encouraged
Applicants should be aware that IAEA staff members are international civil servants and may not accept instructions from any other authority. The IAEA is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. As part of the United Nations common system, the IAEA subscribes to the following core ethical standards (or values): Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for diversity. Staff members may be assigned to any location. The IAEA retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a lower grade or with a different contract type, or to make an appointment with a modified job description or for shorter duration than indicated above. Testing may be part of the recruitment process