REACH Assessment Officer (Cash and Markets) – Somalia
Years of experience:
06 Dec 2019
BACKGROUND ON IMPACT AND REACH
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two International NGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian NGO, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in data collection, management and analysis and GIS. IMPACT was launched at the initiative of ACTED, an international NGO whose headquarter is based in Paris and is present in thirty countries. The two organizations have a strong complementarity formalized in a global partnership, enabling IMPACT to benefit from ACTED’s operational support on its fields of intervention.
We are currently looking for an Assessment Officer for Cash and Markets to support our team in Somalia.
Supervisor: REACH Country Coordinator
Title: REACH Senior Assessment Officer (Cash and Markets) Contract duration: 6 months
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Starting Date: ASAP
REACH has been operational in Somalia since 2012, providing information management support to humanitarian actors in a complex environment through assessment capacity, GIS services and support to Cluster IM practices. Projects have included tri-cluster assessments in support of the WASH, Shelter and Education Clusters, support to Food Security response analysis, and development of a Shelter Cluster M&E Framework.
REACH Somalia is looking to expand information support to the humanitarian response in several key areas, including Cash and Markets and its support to the Somalia Cash Working Group. Key strategic aims are to increase geographic and sectoral coverage and to enhance advocacy capacity through strengthened data collection and information targeting.
Under the supervision of the REACH Country Coordinator, the REACH Senior Assessment Officer will be responsible for the management and implementation of assessments related to Cash and Markets, including preparation, implementation and follow-up, and ensure sufficient quality and compliance with internal procedures. He/she will also be responsible for related logistics, partner coordination, reporting and finance requirements. The Senior Assessment Officer will work closely under the technical guidance of the Cash and Market Assessment Specialist.
The REACH Assessment Officer will:
- Independently designing and implementing REACH assessment strategy and methodology and corresponding analytical frameworks;
- Coordinating and ensuring timely data collection, analysis and, in partnership with GIS/DB team, mapping of datasets and ensuring that all collected data are geo-reference
- Provide information management support to the Somalia Cash Working Group and other relevant coordination forums through in-depth data analysis, technical training development, macro development, IM platform management, and/or geo-referencing, when possible.
- Manage project timeframes and assessment schedules and work with field staff to design and implement REACH assessment procedures;
- Supporting the development/revision of assessment/programme strategies, reports or new proposals;
- Liaising with programme staff of other ACTED departments to ensure close coordination is maintained;
- Coordinate timely and accurate reporting to REACH Country Coordinator and REACH Cash and Markets Specialist
- Ensuring that assessment strategies are implemented in a structured and coherent manner in line with project and strategic objectives;
- Ensuring the writing of timely and accurate assessment reports, briefs and factsheets with integration of cluster and/or partner feedback;
- Under the supervision of REACH Country Coordinator, external representation of REACH with Donors, Partners and the wider Aid Community through clusters and sectoral working groups;
- Master degree in relevant discipline: development studies, economics, social science, political sciences, international relations or equivalent;
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience humanitarian settings;
- At least 3 years of leading assessments and research cycles independently
- Significant previous experience in research on economics, cash and markets, preferable.
- Proficiency of Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint;
- Experience with mobile data collection (ODK, ONA, KOBO);
- Proven excellent analytical skills;
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting in English;
- Ability to operate SPSS, STATA, R or related statistical software is an asset;
- Knowledge of the Adobe Suite, particularly Illustrator and InDesign is an asset;
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Familiarity with the aid system.
- Previous work experience in East Africa is an asset
- Salary defined by the IMPACT salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
- Additional monthly living allowance provided in country by IMPACT’s partner ACTED
- Food and lodging provided at the organisation’s guesthouse/or housing allowance (depending on contract length and country of assignment)
- Transportation costs covered, including additional return ticket + luggage allowance
- Provision of medical, life and repatriation insurance + retirement package