The EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme is based on the European Commission Implementing Decision on the Annual Action Programme 2018 in favour of the Republic of Moldova and will be funded by the European Union and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme.
The overall objective of the five-year programme will be to strengthen the economic, territorial and social cohesion in the Republic of Moldova through facilitating inclusive, sustainable and integrated local socio-economic growth and improving the standards of living of the citizens in the pilot micro- regions.
To this end, this programme will address the urban-rural divide and regional disparities, stimulate economic growth and job creation, refurbish and upgrade some social and technical infrastructure in selected pilot micro-regions (smaller towns and villages) while taking into account a gender perspective in the activities of the programme.
The programme objectives will be achieved through measures targeted at: (i) capacity building to support the implementation and monitoring of local economic development plans; (ii) civil society engagement in local planning, governance processes and basic social service delivery; (iii) provision of investment funding in support of the creation and/or development of social and technical infrastructure which, combined with the outcomes from interventions (i) and (ii) above, will have an immediate, visible and tangible impact on employment creation, the standard of living of the population in the pilot micro-regions.
The Communication Officer will work under the direct supervision of the Programme Manager.
The Communication Officer applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. The Project Officer will coordinate a team of short-term experts and contractors.
The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Manager and in coordination with the project officers, the Communication Officer will ensure visibility and manage all aspects of awareness raising and communication of The EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme, in full compliance with the Joint Visibility Guidelines for EC-UN Actions in the Field. The Programme objectives, successes and impacts will be communicated to a large public via print and broadcast media and via high-profile events. The Communication Officer will, under the guidance of the Programme Manager, assume full responsibility for the effective implementation of the communication and visibility activities within The EU4Moldova: focal regions Programme, including coordination of short-term project communication experts.
The Project Officer works in close collaboration with the Programme team as well as the team in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/programme-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The incumbent will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the projects) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients.
More specifically, the Officer will perform the following functions:
- Develop a Communication strategy and take the lead on its implementation, including appropriate feedback mechanisms and monitoring tools, in close partnership with UNDP and EU Delegation media specialists;
- Undertake continuous monitoring of the impacts of the strategy through both a media log and a log of enquiries arising from media exposure;
- Elaborate, implement and continuously monitor a communication and visibility plan in promotion of the visibility of project results including appropriate feedback mechanisms and monitoring tools;
- Deliver concrete visibility promotion activities as identified in the plan;
- Develop a professional media package to provide background information about the project, and establish processes for: (i) regular communication with media contacts; (ii) regular production of press releases; (iii) advising and assisting programme partners in managing local media interest at the community level;
- Design concepts of various communication products such as TV and radio programmes, websites, publications and other promotional or information materials in cooperation with programme team;
- Organize press trips in the two focal regions and ensure media coverage; coordinate organization of open days and launching events at local level;
- Write articles, success stories, press releases and news about the programme’s most important achievements to be placed in the national media as well as in the local and regional media/websites;
- Prepare and conduct communication trainings for programme team, consultants and target focal regions;
- Ensure compliance with all corporate rules and regulations of EU and UNDP in the field of communication and visibility promotion and reporting, specifically the Joint Visibility Guidelines for EC-UN Actions in the field;
- Respond to queries from the Government, UNDP and EU with respect to communication and visibility aspects of the project;
- Prepare periodical reports on communication/media activities and expenses; provide inputs to the quarterly and annual programme work plan and progress reports;
- Identify appropriate suppliers for the provision of goods and services for activities under the communication plan;
- Write TORs for short-term experts and service providers to be hired to deliver Communication & Visibility services;
- Lead, coordinate work of, and evaluate project consultants and providers related to Communication & Visibility;
- Apply UNDP programming tools and policies as explained in the Results Management Guide. Keep abreast of UNDP programming practices and maintain an optimum level of knowledge by continuous learning;
- Undertake any other related tasks requested on an ad hoc basis.
The key results have an impact on the overall successful implementation and achievement of the objectives of the programme. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Steering Committee, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must;
- Adheres to the core values of the United Nations; in particular, is respectful of differences of culture, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, language, age, HIV status, disability, and sexual orientation, or other status. Ensures that programmes and programmes are consistent with UN/UNDP values;
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility;
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities;
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives;
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
- Strong research and networking skills;
- Intellectual curiosity.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter:
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff;
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Interested in social entrepreneurship, ideas and innovation;
- Creative flair and originality.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting;
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems;
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora;
- Ability to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents;
- Ability to write and communicate orally with accuracy and professionalism, as well as sensitively across different constituencies;
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high-quality standard throughout;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive and collaborative attitude;
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively;
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team and to foster team spirit and synergy;
- Ability to show initiative and work independently.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Journalism, Communication/Media Studies, International Relations or other closely related field.
- At least seven years of experience in media, public relations. Experience in developing and implementing media/communications strategies and plans, including organizing awareness campaigns;
- Good knowledge of the government institutions and PR agencies, news agencies in Moldova and abroad. Knowledge of local development issues would be an asset;
- Experience in similar positions in development programmes (EC/UNDP) is an advantage;
- Experience in working with the public sector (Government and local public institutions), private sector, academia and NGOs is a strong asset;
- Records of writing reports, researches, articles and/or blogs;
- Experience in the usage of computers, office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.), as well as multimedia tools.
- Fluency in oral and written English, Romanian and Russian is required;
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
UNDP is an employer committed to gender equity and to providing equal opportunities to both male and female.
UNDP is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.
Contract Duration: until 31 December 2020, with possibility for extension