- selection, contracting and supervising teams of national consultants who will be implementing specific project activities in the country;
- identification and engagement of key stakeholders in the country and arranging regular consultations with them;
- keeping track of the financial status of the activities and allocations at all times, to control expenses, to handle outstanding commitments, to make payments and to monitor the performance of contractors;
- organizing and supporting national Steering Committee meetings and national stakeholder consultation workshops and events;
- ensuring regular communication and coordination with the national government counterparts;
- overall project management at the national level and reporting to the UNDP Istanbul Regional Hub;
- regular engagement with the National Focal Points in the respective national governments to exchange information about the project implementation;
- monitor implementation progress and ensure quality and timely reporting to project partners;
- monitoring of the resources being spent i.e. approve requisitions in Atlas and certify/confirm receipt of goods and services
- advice respective Team Leader on potential adjustments of actions and procedures in light of changing requirements, issues, risks and needs;
- regular monitoring of the relevant events and/or subjects in the local media.
- preparation/updates of work and budget plans,
- record keeping, accounting and reporting;
- drafting of terms of reference, technical specifications and other documents as necessary;
- organization of duty travel, seminars, public outreach activities and other events;
- maintaining working contacts with partners at the national and local levels;
- accountable to the RPM and UNDP CO for the quality, timeliness and effectiveness of the activities carried out, as well as for the use of funds;
- produce and submit to the RPM quarterly operational reports and inputs to the Project Performance Reports (PPR) related to country-based activities. These reports will summarize the progress made versus the expected results, explain any significant variances, detail the necessary adjustments and be the main reporting mechanism for monitoring activities.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning.
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas related to governance, acts on learning plan and applied newly acquired skills;
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information and best practices from within and outside of UNDP.
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources;
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manages contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis and reporting;
- Ability to think strategically, to express ideas clearly and concisely, to work both independently and in teams, to demonstrate self-confidence combined with sensitivity to gender and culture;
- Strong knowledge of and application skills in result-based management.
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills Strong resource mobilization, communication and advocacy skills;
- Demonstrates ability to manage complexities and work under pressure, as well as conflict resolution skills.
- University degree in social sciences, environment, or related field.
- At least 7 years of experience in natural resource management, flood risk management, hydrology or other relevant field;
- At least 7 years of proven project/programme management experience;
- At least 7 years of experience working with institutions that are responsible for environmental management and/or flood risk management.
- Computer proficiency (MS Office package, Internet); knowledge of mainstream ICT office software is required;
- Fluency in English and local language of the duty station.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: Initial 12-month contract, with a possibility of extension