The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects internationally on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking a Project Delegate (m/f/d) to support our partner South Sudanese Red Cross (SSRC) in organisational development and WASH interventions. National Society Development (NSD) will have a strong focus on volunteer management. In cooperation with SSRC, GRC will support humanitarian aid activities for South Sudanese IDPs and host communities. The project is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office and starts in April 2020. The overall objective is to support SSRC in humanitarian aid activities for South Sudanese IDPs and host communities.
Duration: 01.04.2020 for 12 months (extension is possible)
Location: Juba, South Sudan (with regular field trips to Yei, Mundri and Meridi)
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Ensure implementation of above described project;
- Provide technical support to SSRC staff in the field of NSD, volunteer management, and WASH;
- Strengthen SSRC’ capacities and advocacy role in the response to the current crisis;
- Monitor the project implementation including data collection, indicator based reporting and project controlling;
- Ensure accurate project budgeting, financial management and expenditure tracking according to GRC and donor regulations;
- Narrative and financial reporting;
- Ensure visibility and information sharing on the project with all stakeholders, including project beneficiaries, partners and local authorities as well as the donor;
- Contribute to a conducive work environment;
- Support the preparation of concept notes and project proposals;
- Represent GRC in South Sudan and coordinate with other actors; (embassy visits, coordination meetings with other organisations and partners).
- Minimum of 5 years field based professional experience in implementation and coordination of emergency aid activities;
- Proven expertise in capacity-building and organizational development with national partner societies;
- Hands on experience in design and implementation of WASH-focused programming is essential
- Tertiary qualification in watsan engineering, public health or other relevant field
- Experience in working with Red Cross / Red Crescent Societies is a strong asset;
- Strong project management skills, particularly PCM and participatory methods;
- Solid experience in finance management and prudent stewardship of project budget, including reporting;
- Strong skills in networking, negotiation and advocacy;
- Proven capacity in operational and structural planning of emergency relief operations, as well as mainstreaming new concepts and approaches;
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to build relationships at all levels, taking into account cultural and language differences;
- Experience in training local staff and community volunteers, and provide technical support;
- Oral and written fluency in English; knowledge of German would be an asset;
- Excellent computer skills (spreadsheets, word-processing, databases and other programs);
- Readiness to travel to and work in remote areas essential. Experience of living and working in insecure and conflict-affected environments is an asset;
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles;
- Good interpersonal and intercultural skills, the ability to communicate clearly and effectively and build relationships at all levels;
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process ‘working abroad under specific climate and health conditions’;
- Valid Driving Licence.
The GRC offers you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC as well as an expatriation allowance during your mission. This is a non-family posting. Accommodation will be covered. In addition to a full insurance package (health insurance for residence abroad, private accident insurance, private liability insurance, luggage insurance). The GRC is as well covering a home flight within a 12-month period of assignment, medical check-ups before and after your mission. The briefings in HQ Berlin include Psycho-Social-Support coaching.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HR net (https://drkhrnet.de) until January 5th 2020.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2019-158 with your application and indicate the earliest possible start of your assignment.
- Job City South Sudan