PROJECT COORDINATOR – Isiolo
Years of experience:
29 Nov 2019
Closing date: 29th November 2019
Starting date: 15th January 2020
Contract duration: 3 months probation after which yearly contracts will be offered with possibility to renew
Duty station: The post will be based in Isiolo, with extensive travel to project areas in Isiolo County and with possible travels to the Nairobi office.
Report to: We World GVC Kenya Country Representative
WeWorld GVC is an independent Italian organization emerged from the union between GVC NGO (constituted in Bologna in 1971) and WeWorld (founded in Milano in 1999), with the aim of increasing the impact of Development Cooperation and Humanitarian Aid projects in 29 countries, including Italy. We work to promote recognition and respect of the fundamental rights of every human being, fighting poverty, injustice and generating sustainable and durable socio-economic growth models. We strive for a better world where everyone, especially women and children, have equal opportunities and rights, access to resources, to health, to education and to dignified work. A world in which the environment is a common good to be respected and preserved; in which war, violence and exploitation are banned. We feel called upon to increase our capabilities of providing support, in a global context characterized by economic and environmental crises, conflicts and inequalities, in which Humanitarian Aid and Development Cooperation are more linked than ever.
WeWorld-GVC has been operating in Kenya since 2009 implementing projects in the counties of Nairobi, Narok, Nyamira, Migori and Homabay. Our key thematic areas of intervention focus on: Health and Nutrition, Water Sanitation; Food security Agriculture, Resilience, Livelihood, Education and Learning; Socio-Economic Development.
About the position
WeWorld-GVC is a part of a consortium that has been awarded a 4 years’ grant by the European Union on building community resilience in Isiolo County. In this project WeWorld-GVC main areas of focus will be: Improved nutrition, food security and food production; Enhancing food crop production; Promoting sustainable water supply; Elimination of defecation in the open through promoting Community Led Total Sanitation methodology; Promoting food security and improve nutrition indicators through a multisectoral approach.
Job Purpose: The post holder will be in charge of the management of We World-GVC led component of the project support to Resilience for Sustainable Livelihoods and the implementation of related activities.(S)he will be responsible for the overall supervision of administrative and financial aspects, logistic, security, Human Resources, quality Control of We World-GVC component of the project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Directly in charge of the management of the EU funded project in Isiolo including (and not limited to) the following main tasks: startup of the project, setup of the office/ work plans, M&E plans, financial forecast plan and coordination of all the project staff, supervision and coordination of the implementation of the activities, narrative and financial reporting.
· Manage the project budget and the fund requests to Nairobi Office and/or HQ, administrative and financial management of the project and collection of the necessary documentation for the financial report;
· Ensures that the project is implemented according to the contract signed with the donor, its rules and indications (e.g. visibility, documentation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting etc), and We World GVC internal procedures.
· Ensures proper planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of We World GVC project in Isiolo
· Develop and maintain relationships internally between consortium members and externally with relevant actors (including donors, partners, appropriate cluster leads and local and regional authorities)
· Support in development and negotiation of MoUs at the county and regional levels where necessary.
· Holding high-level advocacy meetings with highly influential individuals and groups in the county for political prioritization of nutrition.
· Participate in coordination meetings with all consortium partners (to share progress, discuss challenges, set timelines, provide guidance) and technical workshops (TWG) and ensure regular strategic reflection (based on M&E data and field lessons learnt).
· Explore the scope for further possible partnerships between the WeWorld and various governmental and non-governmental organisations for effective implementation and enhanced sustainability of the programmes’ activities and outcomes
· Ensure ongoing relevance of the programme, adapting intervention approach/content associated with contextual and organisational changes and opportunities;
· Support identification and formulation of new concept notes and project proposals in the area/region Identification and promotion of fundraising opportunities to co-fund the project
· Facilitates synergies, collaborations and sharing of best-practices among We World GVC project areas in Kenya to effectively and efficiently implement We World GVC activities (food security, livelihood, agriculture, wash).
· Responsible for the effective and efficient management of We World GVC Office and maintenance of We World assets/properties.
· Supervise the Procurement of goods, services and constructions according to We World GVC and Donor procedures with the support of the We world Head office
· Inform the Country Representative of any change/problem about the project, that may compromise the observance of the contract and/or the staff management and/or the presence and We World GVC reputation in the area/country;
· Perform any other task assigned by the Country Representative in line with the profile.
· Relevant Degree in Public/community health, Nutrition related field (clinical medicine, nursing), community development and Social Sciences.
· A minimum of 5 years working experience in related programmes in a development or humanitarian context.
· Proven leadership skills and demonstrated experience in developing and managing/mentoring staff;
· Strong financial management abilities;
· Excellent analytical and self-motivation skills, excellent advocacy and persuasion skills, able to think critically and motivate the team;
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
· Ability to work under tight deadlines and with minimal support;
· Good command of MS Office applications and other computer programs;
· Previous experience working in complex and volatile environments with limited facilities;
· Experience in writing high-quality proposals as well as reports and strategy design;
· Familiarity with policies, procedures and priorities in the field of livelihood, Health and Nutrition, food security, wash, climate change, as well as other cross cutting issues related to the programmes especially in Kenya.
Desired skills and experiences:
· Master’s degree in a relevant field (WASH, Public health, Agriculture, food security, livelihood related issues
· Previous experience working in Kenya and/or in ASAL areas
· Prior experience successfully managing culturally-diverse teams to achieve project outcomes
· Previous experience in management of EU funded projects is a STRONG asset.
· Familiarity with methodologies for conducting a contextual analysis, scoping assessments and other surveys, as well as the project areas related M&E systems, guidelines and standards is an asset.