By the end of 2019 UNDP is expected to start the implementation of a project which aims to demonstrate a multi-sectoral interventi on to tackle air pollution in the City of Skopje. Its objective is to establish a fully functional platform that brings all traditional and non-traditional partners to work together to address the issue. The project has four main components: Component 1: Develop a comprehensive monitoring system for the pilot area, and a coordination platform to tackle air pollution; Component 2: Implement regulatory changes necessary to transitions towards a lower emission household energy system; Component 3: Demonstration of measures that address the causes of pollution for household heating, and Component 4: Build public awareness.
The project shall enhance the coordination among all the responsible actors to ensure a “whole of government” and “whole of society” response to the air pollution challenge. The Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning and the City of Skopje will be the main project partners and beneficiaries, but the project shall peruse the involvement of all relevant stakeholders who can contribute to mitigate the problem. The mobilizing capacity of academia and civil society organizations shall also be tapped to devise solutions and help change public behaviours.
The project shall support the advancement of the country’s EU accession agenda and is aligned to and will use where possible locally owned systems to develop sustainable outcomes with a strong local ownership. At the same time, the project will facilitate the access to knowledge and experience from EU member states and advanced economies worldwide
UNDP is currently seeking a Project Assistant to support the Project Manager in effective and timely implementation of the project and achievement of all planned results.
The incumbent will work under direct supervision, close coordination and guidance of the Project Manager and in close coordination and guidance of the Head of the UNDP Environment Portfolio. He/she will work in close collaboration with Country Office Operations Unit staff and be responsible for the satisfactory achievement of the entrusted functions and tasks, as outlined below.
The salary for the position is classified as SB 3 and depends on experience and qualifications.
Objective of the assignment
The incumbent’s duties are outlined below and will be fulfilled in line with the prevailing UNDP rules and procedures as well as with due compliance with the UNDP internal control framework.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Summary of key functions
1. Expected results: Perform administrative and financial duties related to implementation of the Building municipal capacity for project implementation project
- Prepare requests of payments upon conducting proper control of the supporting documentation and ensuring that the supporting documentation meets the requirements and standards of UNDP rules and procedures;
- Ensure optimal flow of payments toward contractors to avoid delays (tracking the payments in the system and intervene as required);
- Assist in preparation of budget plans, budget revisions, financial reports, payments and status of funds and expenditures;
- Assist in analysis of financial information, availability of funds, readjustment of funds, monitoring of delivery of funds;
- Maintain the projects’ financial books and assure that necessary financial, procurement, disbursement and personnel matters are effectively addressed;
- Perform tasks in ATLAS in conjunction with the functions/roles given (creating requisitions, assisting in preparation of budget plans, budget status of funds, drafting budget revisions, uploading project – related documents particularly with reference to RMG requirements, generate various reports, etc.)
- Review/ financial reports submitted by counterparts, as needed;
- Prepare timely and accurate financial reports based on donor and projects requirements and provide timely reports from Atlas (such as monthly reports; quarterly reports, CDRs etc.).
2. Expected results: Administrative and operational support to project implementation in the country, ensuring quality of business processes
- Provide direct support to the procurement processes including support to the tender evaluation and minutes taking/writing;
- Support management of contracts with companies (consultancies, works and supply of goods) and individuals (consultancy and other services). Organize a system of tracking contract implementation and ensure that project management is timely alerted on the key milestones (e.g., submission and payment deadlines), and possible deviations of the original contract schedules. Prepare and necessary documentation for the possible extension of contract (cost and non-cost);
- Assist in preparation of project work-plans through providing support in data collection, systematization and analysis of information, inter-action with institutions in data collection;
- Assist preparation of Receiving Reports for the procurement of equipment, other goods and services for the project;
- Make travel and logistics arrangements, as needed;
- Assist in the human resources administrative processes, including recruitment of short-term consultants;
- Initiate routine correspondence related to the implementation of project and drafting of official documents;
- Maintain files and ensure proper records of projects working files and permanent retention files in line with corporate requirements;
- Compile, copy and distribute project products;
- Ensure effective correspondence and communication verify data, answer queries and obtain additional information on administrative and financial issues as required;
- Prepare routine correspondence and memoranda for supervisor’ signature, checking enclosures and addresses;
- Prepare relevant background materials for use in discussions, correspondence and briefing sessions.
3. Expected results: Facilitate knowledge sharing within the project
- Participate in the training for the operations/project staff on administration and other relevant topics;
- Keep track of the changes of UNDP procedures and provide timely advice to the Project Manager and other project staff on what are the applicable procedures to fulfilling the project objectives;
- Perform any other duties related to the project as required.
4. Expected results: Ensure effective mainstreaming of gender equality
- Support the Project Manager in mainstreaming gender equality;
- Support preparation of gender equality background materials for use in discussion, correspondence and briefing sessions;
- Ensure that all the data, when collecting and compiling inputs relating to the Project, are gender disaggregated to the extend possible;
- Support the Project Manager in the reporting on gender mainstreaming as part of the ROAR and other corporate documets.
PERFORMANCE INDICATORS FOR EVALUATION OF RESULTS
- Effective and timely fulfillment of all financial steps by ensuring due diligence and respecting the UNDP rules and regulations;
- Effective fulfillment of administrative and organizational requirements for the projects;
- High quality maintenance of files and records and efficient response to queries.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
Delivery – ability to get things done
- Makes new ideas work
- Critically assesses value and relevance of existing thinking and policy
- Embraces difficult obstacles that interfere with getting work done
- Anticipates constraints and identifies solutions
- Strives to improve team reputation with clients
- Expands capacity of team to deliver on time and on target
- Accountable for project implementation and/or team deliverables
Communication – ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Advocates, able to change mind of self, peers and partners
- Persuades others to embrace new ideas, even when controversial
- Empathizes with client perspectives and needs
- Prepares and presents authoritative advice
- Represents team in formal settings
- Expands expertise of team through sharing expertise
Innovation – ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
- Interprets policy within context and applies with judgment
- Anticipates obstacles and applies practical solutions
- Embraces new methods
- Continually seeks improvement
- Collaborates to improve methods and delivery
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Demonstrates an understanding of client/partner/donor perspective in terms of reporting requirements.
Results Based Orientation
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions;
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components;
- Has ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Has ability to handle a large volume of work under time constraints;
- Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals, and;
- Demonstrates ability to generate innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations.
Job knowledge and technical experience
- Knowledge of finance and accounting concepts, principles, regulations, and policies; Ability to evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful manner;
- Experience in office administration – ability to manage day-to-day office activities (including but not limited to travel management, facilities and asset management, policy and procedures maintenance) to meet operational needs.
- Knowledge of procurement and logistics operations, principles and methods.
- Secondary education. University degree is a strong asset.
- At least 6 years (4 years for candidates with University Degree) of progressively responsible administrative or project experience;
- Experience in project finance will be considered a strong asset;
- Experience on projects dealing with democratic governance and organisational reform and creation of capacity development instruments an asset;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills in English and Macedonian are required. Knowledge of Albanian language and/or languages of other communities shall be considered an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 year (with possibility of extension)