UNFPA – United Nations Population Fund in Dushanbe
Job Title: National Post: Programme Associate, Comm/Adv, GS7, Tajikistan
Job ID: 27757
Location: Eastern Europe, Central Asia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Programme Associate on Communications/Advocacy position is located in UNFPA Tajikistan country office. As a country office staff member, you will provide significant input into planning and implementation of UNFPA country office’s Communications/Advocacy and Resource Mobilization strategies.
You will report directly to the Assistant Representative.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
In a global organization, where many of our people are based in challenging environments, you will substantively contribute to development and implementation of the country office advocacy and communication strategy and specific work plans through analyzing overall political and communication environment of the country, and communications/advocacy needs and opportunities to ensure the most effective implementation of Country Programme.
The Programme Associate substantively contributes to development and implementation of country office advocacy and communication strategy and specific work plans through analyzing overall political and communication environment of the country, Communications/Advocacy needs and opportunities for implementation of country programme, basic factors affecting the achievement of results.
The Programme Associate applies established systems and procedures and assists in the creation of substantive knowledge by compiling, synthesizing and analyzing information relevant to population and development, reproductive health and rights youth development and gender equality issues in the context of country office’s Communications/Advocacy efforts. S/he is instrumental in facilitating programme implementation using and developing appropriate mechanisms and systems of Communications/Advocacy and ensuring compliance with established procedures.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS VACANCY IS OPEN ONLY TO NATIONALS OF TAJIKISTAN
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You would be responsible for:
- Developing and implementing Country Office’s Advocacy and Communications Strategy, by compiling and analyzing information, receiving inputs from CO’s staff and partners, and drafts the document;
- Maintaining relationships with key national partners to strengthen the overall effectiveness of UNFPA public information activities and supporting them in preparation of press-releases and built their capacity;
- Contributing to CO Management Plan, Resource Mobilization strategy, development and implementation, monitoring and reporting in the area of advocacy/communications and resource mobilization and manage CO Programme Coordination Assistance Project.
- Supporting development and execution of UNFPA communication campaigns by liaising with mass media, coordinate drafting speeches for Representative, Country Director, and Assistant Representative, and Programme Analysts preparing press releases, articles and human interest stories for local press and HQ/RO in three languages (English, Tajik and Russian), coordinating production of TV and radio programmes and disseminating information about UNFPA to the requesting parties;
- Monitoring implementation of country office’s advocacy and communications activities, establishing and implementing mechanisms to systematically assess the achievement of results, conducting field visits, participating in review meetings and evaluation missions and preparing regular inputs to status and progress reports. Analyzing basic factors affecting the achievement of results, recommending corrective actions and follows up on recommendations;
- In coordination with national counterparts and country office, guiding routine implementation of the country office’s advocacy and communications strategy, coordinating delivery of the strategy inputs, ensuring participation of national counterparts;
- Coordinating development and production of general promotional tools and items as well as information, education and communication materials for the specific country programme components;
- Planning and supporting all substantive and logistical preparations, including necessary financial arrangements in connection with relevant UN or other International Days, UNFPA events and national, regional and global campaigns; and assisting with organizing the visits of journalists and UNFPA Goodwill Ambassadors;
- Maintaining/updating the country office’s online communication channels, including the country office’s website as well as social media platforms; Monitoring press coverage of UNFPA work and ICPD issues and contributing press clippings to the weekly regional media monitoring report;
- Acting as a resource person on communication/advocacy, including UNFPA publications and knowledge sharing and related tasks in relation to both HQ/RO and UN sister agencies;
- Contributing to creation and sharing of knowledge by synthesizing and documenting findings and lessons learned, success stories and best practices, strategies and approaches of the CO, and drafting relevant materials for dissemination;
- In close cooperation with Assistant Representative and Programme Analysts, conducts regular environmental scanning and prepares weekly briefs for the Representative and the staff on the political and socio-economic developments in the country relevant to UNFPA country programme;
- Liaises with regional Advocacy/Communication Adviser and relevant UNFPA headquarters’ units on regional and global advocacy/communication initiatives and relevant information requests;
- Ensures application of the regional publication policy and submission of publication requests to the regional publications committee;
- Represents UNFPA in the country UN Communication Group.
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA management.
Qualifications and Experience
Completed secondary level education required. First level University degree in social sciences, preferably communications or other relevant areas.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 7 years of professional experience in programme/project management.
- Clear understanding of advocacy and communication concepts. Good knowledge in media and public relations;
- Minimum 2 years of experience in preparing documents, communication materials, events, and coordination between a large number of partners;
- Familiarity with population issues, sexual and reproductive health and rights of women and young people (including adolescents) would be an asset.
- Experience in managing websites as well as social media content;
- Proficiency in current office and communication/publishing software applications and social media.
Fluency in English, Tajik and Russian is required
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-oriented programmes
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for impact
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.
For any questions or comments please contact [email protected]