At Justice and Peace, we believe that the most effective way to promote universal human rights globally is through the support and protection of local and grassroots human rights defenders. Through the Shelter City initiative of our Human Rights Defends and Security programme we offer support and protection to human rights defenders at risk by temporarily relocating them in one of the Shelter Cities, and build capacities so that they can continue their work safely and effectively in the long term.
Within the Human Rights Defenders and Security Programme we are developing a new project and we are thus looking for pro bono national legal experts to support with the development of this project which aims to support human rights defenders to reclaim civic spaces. You will be part of a team of pro bono legal champions from all over the world who will manage pro bono activities in their respective countries and/or regions.
If you would like to use your legal expertise to ‘give something back’ to your local community then please read our announcement below.
Pro-bono National Legal Experts:
Human Rights Defenders and Security programme
8-10 hours a week
We are looking for experienced national experts with theoretical and practical expertise in the legal system of countries around the world regarding human rights and civil society organisations. The position is open to legal experts of any nationality.
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Supporting the HRD team with legal research and documentation of human rights and civil society developments over a fixed period of time;
- Drafting of country reports and collaborating online in regional/global groups for the drafting of regional/global reports;
- Provide input for the development of policy and legal advocacy strategies relating to reforms at national and/or regional or international levels.
We are looking for candidates with the following competences:
- Minimum 2 years of theoretical and practical expertise in the national legal system of a country;
- Excellent analytical skills and exceptional writing skills;
- Working knowledge of English is required;
- Excellent oral and written skills in the national language (knowledge of French or Spanish or Russian or Arabic is highly valued);
- Result-oriented, organised, flexible, stress resistant, professional, team player, open and creative mind, analytical skills.
We can offer you:
- The opportunity to take on a new role that your professional life may not necessarily provide;
- Possibility to get acquainted and collaborate with people and organisations from all over the world, and become part of a global online community of peers who all share the goal of advancing human rights and supporting human rights defenders to reclaim civic spaces;
- If located in the Netherlands, we can offer you a workplace at our great office (Het Nutshuis) in The Hague, fresh coffee (Espresso, Cappuccino, Latte Macchiato … we have everything!), and 50% discount on your lunch at the Juni Café at Het Nutshuis. A certificate of appreciation as well as visibility in relevant publications online and in reports/journals.