The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
Principal Program Officer, Information and Communication – P5
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Department: Office of the President
Division: Information and Communication
Line Supervisor: Director, Communication
- Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Director of Communication, Principal Program Officer, information and Communication will organize, coordinate, implement and supervise all information and communication activities of the Division.
- Communication Officers
- Information and Public Relations Officers
- Website and Social Media
Role And Responsibilities
- Supervise the definition of ECOWAS Communication Strategy and its implementation;
- Organize, coordinate and supervise all information and communication activities;
- Assist in enhancing the Commission’s internal and external communication;
- Develop, implement and monitor communication plans and strategies;
- Supervise the design and production of communication tools/publications such as leaflets, flyers, information notes, brochures, notice boards etc
- Draft internal communication, speeches , communiques, press releases and reviews;
- Coordinate the design , production and dissemination strategy of the Commission’s information bulletin;
- Supervise the revamping and updating of Commission’s website and social networks and develop inherent strategies;
- Organise public awareness and sensitization campaigns on Commission’s activities and programmes;
- Manage content and strategy for the Commission’s continuous information flow to regional and international media;
- Establish and set up a permanent network of specialized and dedicated media /journalists in each member country and international
- Supervise the definition of a strategy for the promotion of ECOWAS as an organization to Member States and citizens of West Africa, regional and international organizations, development partners and the general public etc;
- Generate enhanced visibility of Commission’s activities and programmes;
- Coordinate media coverage of ECOWAS regular, statutory and extraordinary meetings ( meetings, public and press conferences of Heads of State and Government , Council of Ministers, ministerial meetings, Civilian Stakeholders etc);
- Execute any other tasks as may be assigned to him/her within deadlines.
Academic Qualifications And Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Journalism, Public Relations or any related specialized field from a recognized university;
- 10 years responsible experience in journalism, communications, public relations, or related field of which 3 years is at a supervisory level
- Proven competence in developing content and implementing wide range communications strategies to broaden awareness of Activities, Programmes and priorities;
- Knowledge and experience in drafting communication strategies and plans in order to ensure visibility across key audiences and media;
- Ability to conceptualize and design on target communication campaigns for diversified and larger audiences.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competences:
- Ability to lead in assigned programmes and projects by providing the necessary managerial and operational expertise/technicity required for the fulfillment of the organization’s mandate;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Excellent self-management skills, demonstrating ethics and integrity, confidentiality and displaying due regards for internal controls of rules, delegations and transparency;
- Ability to bring together complementary skills/expertise, assess individual contributions and recognize/address accomplishments and shortcomings in a manner that brings continued success to the organization;
- Ability to work within very short deadlines
- Ability to manage change in orientations, instructions and content and react appropriately
- Well-developed networking and interpersonal skills to seek feedback, information and data from a network of professionals from multiple countries/sectors/organizations and to identify and prioritize the most critical community requirements;
- Ability to develop and implement best practices in client services;
- Ability to service internal communication requests across board ECOWAS : Commission, Institutions and Agencies
- Ability to be diplomatic, tactful and respect of other people from varied backgrounds, understanding diverse cultural views especially within West Africa with the ability to convert diversity into opportunities to improve program/operational outcomes;
- Ability to remain objective in managing conflict regardless of cultural differences /positions, gender differences, and encourage other staff to overcome cultural and gender bias and differences;
- Understanding of the ECOWAS organizational structure, associated dynamics and expectations as required to collaborate, participate, contribute and lead effectively;
- Ability to pull together information from different sources to identify the cause of problems, consequences of alternative causes of action, potential obstacles and ways to avoid the problem in the future;
- Ability to develop new insights into situations, apply innovative solutions to problems and to design new methods of addressing issues or disconnects where established methods and procedures are inapplicable or no longer effective.
- Ability to listen intently and correctly interpret messages from others and respond appropriately;
- Exhibit active listening skills to encourage stronger communication amongst team members, to show care and make them feel valued and to drive employee engagement in all institutions and agencies;
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to set effective goals and targets for self, others, and the work unit and adjusting work or project priorities in response to changing circumstances;
- Ability to plan, organize, control resources, and to comply with policies, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
Method of Application
- Principal Program Officer, Information and Communication – P5 – [email protected]
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)
- Job City Abuja