London, United Kingdom
Dept. / Bus. Group
Business Unit: SI3P Project Prep Implem. & Green Cities
Posting End Date
Purpose of Job
The Principal Engineer is responsible for the technical aspects of projects within the Power and Energy sectors contributing to all phases of the investment cycle primarily involved in project preparation and to a lesser extent project implementation and its monitoring. In addition, the Principal Engineer will assist in assessing project opportunities, risks and addressing transition impact from an engineering point of view as well as supporting and promoting the integration of sustainable power and energy solutions across other municipal sectors and with other banking teams. The role also includes elements of policy dialogue, client management and business development.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Carry out or supervise technical due diligence in order to appraise technical and commercial viability of projects in preparation.
- Screen initial project proposals to help inform OL and Team Director on whether Bank resources should be committed to develop specific projects.
- Help prepare project related documentation including writing Terms of Reference, internal Bank approval documentation etc. providing relevant technical input as necessary.
- Maintain benchmarks of different technologies to ensure Team has state-of-the-art sector expertise.
- Seek opportunities across sectors and across teams where a more integrated or novel approach could realise better projects
- Where necessary, carry out or supervise project monitoring in order to support loan disbursement process.
- Contribute to development of related policies, Country and Bank Strategies and to the EBRD’s Green Cities initiative.
- Support the Teams in Head Quarters and Regional Offices with relevant sector related marketing activities to identify and scope new operations in the sector.
- Provide on the job support/coaching to team colleagues in technical aspects of project screening, scoping, due diligence and monitoring to increase sector related skills and understandings.
- Advise and assist Team procurement specialist on technical aspects of the projects to facilitate project implementation; advise EPG on rationale and transition impact aspects; interact with E2C2 in energy efficiency aspects of the projects and engage with ESD on environmental and social dimensions.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
- Degree qualification in relevant engineering discipline; additional relevant finance, economics or business degree would be beneficial.
- Proven track record and extensive experience in the field of Power Engineering with a relevant infrastructure utility company or corporate/project finance group or an IFI, plus a technical consultancy firm with experience of advising IFIs in relation to power projects, or organisation of similar expertise.
- Experience of carrying out technical due diligence and monitoring of projects in the electricity generation (conventional and renewable), electricity distribution & transmission, and gas distribution sectors.
- Experience in the electricity transmission & distribution sectors, encompassing network rehabilitation/reinforcement/expansion projects and associated power system studies, would be considered particularly beneficial.
- Experience in working in cross-cultural teams
- Sound understanding of banking/business principles.
- Strong analytical and technical skills with the ability to interpret technical information and able to analyse and assess project viability.
- Ability to communicate effectively and confidence in handling senior stakeholders.
- Very good verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Good report writing skills.
- Experience in and language skills from one of the Bank’s countries of operation is desirable.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.
Job Segment: Bank, Banking, Engineer, Procurement, Sustainability, Finance, Engineering, Operations, Energy