Duration of the contract
4 to 6 months (negotiable). The traineeship programme is on a full-time basis.
Indicative starting date
15 Jan 2020
Deadline for submission of applications
15 Dec 2019
Number of vacancies
Peacekeeping Training Programme
The trainee will receive a monthly stipend of CHF 700.
UNITAR’s Division for Peace contributes to the international community’s efforts towards the peaceful resolution of conflicts and the building of lasting peace. Recognizing that peace is a prerequisite for the achievement of the Agenda 2030 Sustainable Development Goals, the Peacekeeping Training Programme Unit of the Division for Peace supports the development of capacities in the areas of peacekeeping, peacebuilding and crisis management. At the core of UNITAR’s mandate lies capacity building at the international, national and local level to address and overcome global challenges. UNITAR’s Peacekeeping Training Programme Unit (PTPU) offers various training and capacity-development activities serving Sustainable Development Goal 16 to build and strengthen ‘Peaceful and Just Societies’.
Through innovative and results-oriented approaches, the Programme Unit strengthens knowledge and skills of individuals, groups or institutions. The Peacekeeping Training Programme Unit (PTPU) provides high-quality training comprised of both basic and advanced courses. The trainee will provide support to programme unit activities in the thematic area of pre-deployment training for UN peacekeepers, specifically in the framework of the project ‘Pre-deployment Training for African Military Personnel (GPOI project) as well as the ‘Support to the League of Arab States: Strengthening Capacities for Crisis Response and Pre-Deployment’ project.
The Division for Peace offers a traineeship opportunity for freshly postgraduates and young professionals interested in working for 4 to 6 months on a full-time basis at UNITAR Headquarters in Geneva. The working experience is designed to allow trainees to strengthen their knowledge and gain practical experience in the training and learning field, with a specialization in topics related to peacekeeping. The trainee will receive a monthly stipend of CHF 700.
An individual work plan will be designed in accordance with specific terms of reference and learning objectives to enable the trainee to develop specific skills and competences and acquire hands-on experience in the related field.
- Supporting the PTPU staff with the development of training material for military pre-deployment training activities;
- Conducting thematic research and analysis on topics related to UN Peacekeeping Missions and ongoing conflicts in Africa and the MENA region;
- Supporting the coordination of logistical arrangements for military activities trainers;
- Supporting administrative preparation of military pre-deployment trainings;
- Supporting the coordination and production of training packages for pre-deployment military trainings;
- Supporting the production of communication materials;
- Assisting with the evaluation and reporting of delivered military pre-deployment trainings;
- Assisting with the delivery of events related to peacekeeping;
- Providing general assistance to PTPU by supporting the staff with the implementation of specific projects and other activities being carried out by the programme unit;
- Performing any other duty as requested by the supervisor.
By the end of the traineeship, the incumbent will be able to:
- Produce research and analytical background documents;
- Review, critique and recommend improvements to content of face-to-face training courses;
- Apply time management skills in order to respect tight deadlines;
- Explain the functioning of an international organisation and the United Nations system as a whole, in particular in the area of peacekeeping;
- Have easy command of vocabulary related to peace and security, as well as UN terminology;
- Be enrolled in or have completed a (post-)graduate degree programme related to Peace Studies / War Studies / Military Science / International Relations / Conflict Research and Resolution/ Political Science / Sociology / Middle East or African Studies (if selected must commence the traineeship within 2 years of graduation);
- Ability to write clearly and concisely in English and French;
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office Suite;
- Excellent organizational and research skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team;
- Diligence and professional commitment;
- Ability to deliver within a tight time frame and to multitask;
- Interest in international relations, United Nations and sustainable development.
- Candidates must have an advanced knowledge of English and French.
- Good knowledge of the peacekeeping context;
- A military background;
- A background in Training/ Education;
- Previous experience (as a trainee or employee) in government organizations, think tanks, academia, or non-profit organizations;
- A good knowledge of Arabic will be considered as a strong asset.
What we offer
- Work at the heart of international Geneva;
- Hands-on experience with the United Nations;
- Engagement in real projects on peace and security as a full member of the team;
- Work in a multicultural environment;
- Continuous support and guidance;
- A monthly stipend.
How to apply
Send your CV and motivation letter to [email protected] indicating ‘Traineeship – Pre-Deployment Training’ in the subject line. The deadline for submissions is 15 December 2019, 23.59 Geneva time (CEST) .