The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
Officer, Community Decisions Monitoring and Coordination – P5
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Department: Office of the President
Directorate: Secretary – General
Division: Community Decisions Monitoring and Coordination
Line Supervisor: Secretary General
Supervising: Programme Monitoring and Coordination
- Under the supervision of the Secretary General, the incumbent will be responsible for monitoring the implementation of Community Decisions in Member States and in the Institution and Agencies, assessing their level of implementation and providing feedback on challenges and status.
Role And Responsibilities
- Monitors the status of implementation of Decisions made by ECOWAS Statutory Organs and provide reports;
- Liaises with Member States and Community Institutions and Agencies and provides clarification on Decisions made by Statutory Organs of the Community;
- Establishes appropriate indicators for measuring progress on the implementation of Community Decisions;
- Develops a framework to assess the impact of Community Decisions on Citizens pf Member States;
- Ensures information gathered through monitoring activities is shared quickly and in an appropriate format with Management so that any problems arising can be resolved;
- Assesses the efficient utilization of community funds received by Member States relating to the implementation of Community Decisions;
- Undertakes regular field missions to coordinate implementation of Community decisions in Member States and ensures that they are all at the same level of understanding;
- Provides advice on ways and means of improving the status of implementation of Community Decisions;
- Serves as a focal point for Member States and Community Institutions and Agencies with regard to the implementation of Community Decisions;
- Anticipates, plans and supports funding requirements as they relate to the efficient implementation of Community Decisions;
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the supervisor
Academic Qualifications And Experience
- Master’s degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics or a similar field from a recognized university;
- 10 years of professional experience in management including 2 years relevant international work and 2 years at a supervisory level;
- Good knowledge of ECOWAS as a whole and the role of the institutions of the ECOWAS Community;
- Demonstrated expertise in successively setting up framework to monitor decisions making process;
- Proven track record on policy work related to governance, economic reform and social issues.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competences:
- Ability to lead in assigned programmes and projects by providing the necessary managerial and operational expertise required for the fulfillment of the organization’s mandate;
- Ability to lead by example and organize teamwork to encourage cooperation to achieve targeted results, champion and build momentum for change and to bring about employee engagement;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Excellent self-management skills, demonstrating ethics and integrity, confidentiality and displaying due regards for internal controls of rules, delegations and transparency;
- Ability to bring together complementary skills/expertise, assess individual contributions and recognize/address accomplishments and shortcomings in a manner that brings continued success to the organization;
- Knowledge of program management at the level usually acquired from a certification in program management.
- Ability to research benchmarks and trends to bring about the best recommendations for the development and improvement of programs/projects that will best serve the community/organization;
- Well-developed networking and interpersonal skills to seek feedback, information and data from a network of professionals from multiple countries/sectors/organizations and to identify and prioritize the most critical community requirements;
- Ability to manage and co-ordinate client management initiatives and make recommendations;
- Ability to develop and implement best practices in client services;
- Ability to develop and implement stakeholder management plans, programs and initiatives to obtain buy-in on new initiatives, to better understand dissenting views, to obtain resources and to increase perceptions of success.
- Ability to be diplomatic, tactful and respectful of other people from varied backgrounds, understanding diverse cultural views especially within West Africa with the ability to convert diversity into opportunities to improve program/operational outcomes;
- Ability to create a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths bringing together innovative practices;
- Ability to remain objective in managing conflict regardless of cultural differences /positions, gender differences, and encourage other staff to overcome cultural and gender bias and differences;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to serve the interest of culturally diverse multinational teams/organizations/communities and persons with disability without prejudice and bias
- Understanding of the ECOWAS organizational structure, associated dynamics and expectations as required to collaborate, participate, contribute and lead effectively;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS mandate, strategic plan/priorities as well as the economic, political and social situation and trends in Member States, as pertains to own scope of work;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS best practices, program management approaches and research techniques to lead and/or contribute to the development or assessment of programs, projects or initiatives;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS rules and procedures in order to appropriately interpret and apply directive or text, provide technical advice, coach others and assess performance.
- Ability to analyze a situation by using indicators to assess the costs, benefits, risks, and chances for success in making decisions;
- Ability to pull together information from different sources to identify the cause of problems, consequences of alternative causes of action, potential obstacles and ways to avoid the problem in the future;
- Ability to break down very complex situations/information into simple terms to explain recommendations and conclusions aimed at solving problems or improving operations/programs/projects;
- Ability to develop new insights into situations, apply innovative solutions to problems and to design new methods of addressing issues or disconnects where established methods and procedures are inapplicable or no longer effective.
- Ability to communicate with impact, clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner conveying credibility & confidence when making presentations, setting expectations and explaining complex issues;
- Ability to listen intently and correctly interpret messages from others and respond appropriately;
- Accomplished technical writing and editing skills;
- Exhibit active listening skills to encourage stronger communication amongst team members and to drive employee engagement in all institutions and agencies;
- Ability to give constructive feedback, provide recognition, address shortcomings and motivate direct reports to work at peak performance;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Organizational and project/program management skills with significant experience identifying timelines, targets, costs and resources necessary to deliver on operational/program/project outputs in line with result based management approach;
- Ability to set effective goals and targets for self, others, and the work unit and adjusting work or project priorities in response to changing circumstances;
- Ability to use participatory approach in project planning and identify gaps affecting the achievement of program/project expectations and to design and implement intervention plans required to build the desired task;
- Ability to implement rigorous monitoring and evaluation practices and to set in place regular reporting schedules relevant to key outputs;
- Ability to plan, organize, control resources, and to comply with policies, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
Method of Application
- Officer, Community Decisions Monitoring and Coordination – P5 – [email protected]
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)
Click here for more Information
- Job City Abuja