Years of experience:
17 Dec 2019
CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of the Position
To service, maintain and repair all types of Light/Heavy vehicles, Trailers and Plant equipment in a safe, efficient and economical manner; deploying requisite skills and expertise. Working to the highest standards without close supervision to achieve an acceptable level of work throughout whist maintaining quality standards at all times.
- Examine, inspect and report thoroughly on the condition, roadworthiness or safety of any vehicle or equipment, including functional testing and the application of computerised Service & Diagnostic techniques.
- Service, maintain adjust or repair vehicles, equipment or components utilising the necessary tools, equipment and facilities in a safe manner within the standard job times defined by the vehicle / equipment manufacturer.
- Interpret and implement technical service data and statutory maintenance standards to ensure that all work performed is in accordance to minimum requirements defined.
- Recovery of broken down or immobilised vehicles and equipment, utilising proper techniques to minimise the risk of additional damage without causing any danger to the public.
- Apply the Organisations policies in respect to maintenance practices and standards to ensure that these are fully implemented and that maximum benefit is obtained in terms of equipment availability and minimising costs.
- Apply in a logical and progressive manner the appropriate diagnostic techniques to determine the cause or causes of reported malfunctions in vehicles, components or systems. Including also recommendations for improvements and modifications designed to enhance safety and reliability.
- Supervise and instruct semi-skilled staff, apprentices and other junior staff in the workshop. Including also the requirement to attend any training courses on vehicles or equipment that may be deemed necessary.
- Use safe working practises and procedures at all times and in particular to comply with the Organisations Health and Safety at work policy. Including the wearing of protective clothing and consideration for the environment.
- Share experiences gained with other staff members and strive towards creating good team building and harmonious atmosphere.
- Loss or damage of Cargo, Spares, Tools or Equipment as well as Loss of Fuel in the care of the employee shall be deducted from the salary based on CIF value or Local Market Rate, whichever is prevailing. This can also lead to penalties or dismissal to the Personnel and penalties on the Service Provider or Contractor.
- Travel occasionally, as required by the Organisation and perform any other duties as requested by immediate Supervisor.
- Will perform any other duties as requested by immediate Supervisor.
- Expected Output: Complete work within MST’s (Manufacturers Standard Times), to ensure that downtime is kept to a minimum. Work consistently completed to a high standard without customer complaints or repeat repairs. Displays initiative in overcoming technical problems and is an effective diagnostician.
Persons Reporting: Assistant Mechanics (apprentices), Semi-skilled staff, Trainees delegated to work with a nominated Mechanic.
- Constantly updated and taken regular Technical training refresher courses, with preference to Mercedes, DAF and Toyota vehicles.
- Held the position of Mechanic or similar job in a Company/NGO with at least 5 years’ experience gained in the relevant field.
- Computer skills, Good working knowledge of the complete Microsoft Office suite (asset).
- Experience gained using a computerised Fleet Management System (asset).
- Hold a full driving licence for all the categories of vehicle on which employed. This includes HGV (Heavy Goods Vehicles) licence of the appropriate type where employed on HGV repairs and maintenance. Team Management
To Liaise and cooperate with other Mechanics, Workshop Staff & store personnel.
Education – High school graduate. Completed “A” Levels/ Secondary School in Mathematics and English as main subjects.
Completed a full course at technical college, or similar institution in Auto Mechanics with experience gained in both light and heavy Vehicles.