Follow this company
Title: MEAL Specialist
Location: Addis Ababa
Contract duration: 12 months
Posting date: December 6, 2019
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
POSITION’S OVERALL OBJECTIVES
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance with DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities
Responsible for supporting the development of a MEAL framework and protocols for each technical sector in line with the country strategy, ensure harmonized and standardized systems and procedures across different areas of intervention and states
Provide technical MEAL guidance and leadership at all levels of the Country Program such as leading efforts to document progress, effectiveness and impact for donors reporting requirements, and for use in new project design.
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities in collaboration with other CO MEAL team members.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Responsible for the development of log frames, MEAL plans in pursuit of high impact and cost effective program strategies and activities.
- Participate in project Kick-off meetings, review meetings and close-out meetings in order to highlight cross-project components aimed at replicating good practices and strengthening synergies between projects or programs.
- Develop and maintain global log frame for all programmes.
- Manage joint cross-sectoral assessments, evaluations, baseline and end line studies etc.
Programme Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
- Develop and continuously update accountability strategy and lead on implementation of programme wide feedback and complaint mechanisms.
- Ensure that DRC’s team members are supporting all efforts towards accountability, specifically to beneficiaries and in line with international standards, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of DRC projects.
- Ensure the development of appropriate monitoring, tracking and reporting systems, tools and templates that enhance monitoring of program outputs and quality, generate quality evidence on program outcome and promote and ensure use of data for decision-making processes.
- Develop and improve systems that strengthen DRC’ ability to analyze, improve, and represent impact internally and externally and most of all to communities themselves.
- Design and manage evaluations in compliance with DRC evaluation policy, from development of ToRs, to advising management on approval of final report, to dissemination of evaluation.
- Regularly present key findings to the Senior Management Team for further development.
- Provide timely and high-quality advice to programme managers and staff as required;
- Capacity build, train and support sectors and field staff to improve the field monitoring or any other MEAL needs.
Manage the MEAL team.
- Proactively support and advice on recruitment and induction of MEAL and relevant programme and project staff.
- Act as focal point for all MEAL related issues in consortia.
- Organize and run MEAL workshop and review or the consortium.
- Ensure coordination of data collection and compiling.
- Act as focal point for baseline study, midterm and final evaluation for consortia.
Core Humanitarian Standards:
- Assess gaps and work to support country and project level policies and practices to ensure DRC is compliant with the Core Humanitarian Standard.
- Support the development of an organizational culture that reflects DRC mandate and values as a humanitarian organization.
- Minimum 3 years of technical experience in M&E, and information management.
- Proven experience in effectively working with a variety of donors’ requirements including ECHO, EU, OFDA and UN agencies.
- Previous staff management experience.
- Proven ability to create and utilize qualitative and quantitative M&E methods and analyses in organizational planning
- Full professional proficiency in English
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than December 19, 2019.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.