The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Reporting to the Head of Supply Chain within the Uganda Country Office, the Logistics Officer will have the unique opportunity to influence WFP’s role in the country and to ensure that, by working with others, WFP delivers real results for the millions of people in the country who face food insecurity.
WFP Uganda is looking for a talent with innovative and creative approach and extensive logistics experience in the commercial sector who can analyze, assess and propose new modalities of running a Logistics Hub that supports the Uganda operations.
The Logistics Officer will report directly to the Head of Supply Chain in the Uganda Country Office. She/he will provide expert oversight of the warehouse management, supply chain, and logistics services to ensure optimal use of assets and on time delivery of quality food.
Tororo is one of the largest logistics hubs of WFP, serving Uganda, South Sudan, Rwanda, Burundi and DRC. The total capacity of the four-warehouse complex located in Tororo town is close over 100,000MT. In 2018, almost 600,000 metric tonnes turnover of commodities and non-food items was registered through the Hub. The Tororo Logistics Hub Manager will lead a large national staff team and is expected to guide personnel on the best practices of logistics operations.
Manage and supervise Logistics Operations at WFP Uganda HUB of Tororo and ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning.
Assess the current situation of the warehouses, including warehouse facilities, condition of the equipment, manpower in place, and processes, and recommend and implement improvements.
Ensure adequate logistics preparedness through contingency planning and continuous logistics preparedness reviews. * Draft strategy on the optimal use of Tororo as a logistics hub for Eastern Africa for WFP, UN and NGO partners, and the business community.
Advise on designs for new 50,000MT warehouse facility.
Advise on logistics management and structures and staffing levels to ensure that they are adequate and ensure appropriate segregation of duties.
Analyze the outsourced personnel service roles at present, potential future expansion and/or challenges associated with it.
Ensure that all staff are adequately trained and identify training needs to achieve high working standards. * Supervise staff and ensure an atmosphere of open communication, support, and team work.
Review staff and work scheduling and put system in place to minimize overtime.
Develop warehouse operations improvements by analysing process work flow, workforce, space requirements and equipment layout.
Ensure appropriate procedures and controls are in place to ensure efficiency of the warehouse operations, minimize losses, and prevent fraud and corruption.
Assess facilities and infrastructure and develop solutions to address challenges of storage shortage, traffic congestion, etc.. * Ensure compliance to food quality practices and proper storage of food commodities in accordance to WFP guidelines and best practices.
Monitor and ensure compliance with quality controls to ensure that food received and dispatched meets WFP quality standards.
Manage scheduling and administration of transporters to ensure on time delivery.
Ensure trucks are loaded and offloaded in a timely fashion and truck flow is optimized.
Support and guide technical units and area offices to effectively manage and mobilize donor resources according to agreed contractual terms and conditions.
Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical guidance and recommendations whilst identifying and monitoring risks, and managing its mitigation actions.
Provide support and guidance to technical units in the development of quality and compliant donor proposals. * Provide guidance to field-based offices on how best to prepare for and support donor missions.
Familiarize and increase understanding of technical units and area teams about the standard operating procedures for the proposal development process and specific roles and responsibilities to develop a synergistic and collaborative working relationship.
Other as required.
Standard Minimum Education Qualifications
- Education: Advanced University degree in Logistics, Supply Chain, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Language: International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language.
Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese. * Experience: At least eight years’ experience in Supply Chain, logistics optimization, warehouse management or related activities, either in the private or public sector.
Desired Knowledge and Skills
- Experience in customs and border facilitation. Intimate market knowledge of the sub-region would be an advantage.
- Experience in food management and quality systems preferred.
- Command of all normally used software programmes.
- Excellent grasp of financial issues and ability to present complex financial information clearly and effectively.
- Experience in drafting project documents, concept of operations for logistics operations.
- Experience setting and establishing strategic alliances with country authorities, transportation providers, and commodity suppliers.
- Experience in vetting procedures, quality and performance control.
- Experience in project management, including large scale fleet management.
- Experience supervising teams of professional staff (multiple logistics officers).
- Experience in shaping and implementing large scale operational logistics strategies
- Experience setting risk assessment and contingency planning strategies.
- A strategic thinker with personal gravitas and ability to work with senior executives.
- Strong leadership behaviours, including external orientation, situational agility, and stakeholders.
- Openness, ambition, ability and willingness to innovate and deliver beyond his or her personal brief.
- Ability to network with, and influence stakeholders both internally and externally to achieve a pre- defined outcome.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English through a variety of vehicles (e.g. senior level briefings, internal and external presentations).
Terms and Conditions
Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year and eligible for the Rest and Recuperation (R&R) scheme. He/she will be required to travel abroad sometime to remote and difficult locations.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
Deadline for Applications