Position Start Date : Beginning of January
Duration : 6 months
Location : Yei – South Sudan
Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
Tdh has been working in South Sudan since 2014 and is conducting emergency operations in two locations: Yei and Juba.
In 2016, following the clashes that took place in the Equatoria Region, Yei River State (Former Central Equatoria State) was identified as zone of major humanitarian concern. At the beginning of 2017, Tdh launched a program in Yei town to improve overall child protection outcomes through an integrated approach, including WASH and education projects. Tdh used to be operational in Yei town only. However, in the recent period, Tdh has started to expend its programmes to areas outside of Yei, targeting 3 counties so far. In parallel, in Juba, Tdh has been working in the Protection of Civilian (POC) camp since 2014 providing child protection services to Internally Displaced People in camps.
The logistic coordinator is in charge of the overall logistic activities for South Sudan. S/he is responsible for logistic staff management, implementation of logistic procedures, programs support, reporting and security.
The Logistic Coordinator will work in direct collaboration with the Program managers and interface directly with the Country Representative, the Finance and HR Coordinator and head of Program, as appropriate for reporting. S/he will have direct access to confidential information, such as the general strategy of Tdh in South Sudan, including programming objectives in the field, financial details, and security guidelines. This position will be based in Yei with regular field trips to the coordination office (approx 30% of the time).
A professional sense of security, confidentiality, and proper representation is paramount.
Ensuring the security:
- S/he supports the Country Representative to define the mission’s safety management tools, in collaboration with the managers concerned.
- S/he ensures that general rules and safety plans for the mission and for the field office are implemented and respected and makes sure everyone (expatriate and local) is familiar with and understands the general rules and safety plans.
- S/he ensures that the material and personnel resources on-site are sufficiently adapted to the level of safety
- S/he participates in collecting safety information in the Tdh operations’ areas and communicates this information through the security tree channels.
- S/he analyzes the mission’s safety and conditions, alerts and issues recommendations to the Country Representative concerning potential changes relating to risks as well as measures to be put in place.
Managing the supply chain
- S/he guarantees that purchase procedures are respected and supervises the purchasing process for the whole mission. S/he works in close collaboration with the logistic and program staff at field and capital level.
- S/he ensures that purchase files are complete and correctly archived.
- S/he ensure to have updated contract follow up for all purchase and services contracts.
- S/he supervises the shipment and delivery of materials up to their final destination.
- S/he coordinates with the logistic department at headquarters for the shipment of merchandise coming from abroad and supervises the potential process involved with clearing customs.
- S/he guarantees the management and monitoring of the mission’s stock, according to Tdh procedures and tools. S/he ensures that these procedures are known and implemented on all the mission’s bases.
- S/he supervises fluxes of merchandise, makes sure that the goods received are conform, and recorded. S/he is attentive to the use-by-date of products, if need be.
Managing the mission’s fixed equipment
- S/he defines the mission’s technical needs on each base and makes sure that their funding is possible, especially when new projects are being planned.
- S/he issues technical recommendations on the choice of computer equipment, tele/radiocommunication equipment and energy supply. S/he validates the choice of the suppliers for the purchase of new equipment.
Managing the mission’s vehicles and generators’ fleet
- S/he defines transport means adapted to the project’s needs.
- S/he ensures that vehicles and generators follow up procedures are implemented and well documented.
- S/he ensures that data related to vehicles and generators is collected, analyzed and filed.
Supporting the field bases
- S/he actively contributes to the opening and the closing of base(s) and potential redeployment. S/he supports the Logistic department in the organization of logistical factors (installing equipment, building research etc.).
- S/he prepares the cost analysis for opening or closing of base.
Supervising and managing logistical teams
- S/he supervises the logistics department.
- S/he writes the job descriptions and carries out or delegates job interviews. S/he contributes to work meetings, mediates potential conflicts, defines priorities and plans activities.
- S/he participates in the recruitment of the logistical team as well as in any decision to terminate an employment contract.
- S/he creates an action plan for the logistical department in accordance with the objectives defined in the annual programming of the mission.
- S/he identifies the need of improvement in the team members and suggests the trainings to enhance the productivity of the team.
- Education: University degree in relevant field
- Language: Excellent oral and writing skills in English C2
- Experiences and aptitudes: At least 2 years previous experience of seniority in an NGO at a management position in the field (expatriation)
- Extensive project management experience (management, planning, staff development and training skills) in emergency and/or development programme
- Extensive experience in expatriate team management
- Advanced IT skills
- Responsive, motivated and good communicator
- Ability to work under pressure
Expatriate contract under Swiss labour code 3 400 CHF (~2 950 €) < > 4 750 CHF (~4 100 €) net salary/month according to experience x 13, Annual Leave: 25 days per year. Contract includes also local accommodation and transportation, health and repatriation insurance, return flight.
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies :
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure: raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
Please applying directly online: http://www.jobs.net/j/JdDrMghf?idpartenaire=20007
Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process – with the large number of applications received, we unfortunately cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thanks for your understanding.
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.
To know more about Terre des hommes: https://vimeo.com/253387418
- Job City Yei