Learning and Capacity Development Manager
08 Dec 2019
Position: LCD Manager (Learning and Capacity Development)
Starting date: January 2020
Duration: 8 months, renewable
Duty station: Lebanon (Beirut, with frequent field visits to North Bekaa and Mount Lebanon)
Terre des Hommes Italia (TDH IT), member of Terre des hommes International Federation, works in 22 developing countries implementing projects and activities for the benefit of more than 3 million people (2018).
TDH IT implements relief and mid-term programmes and projects in the fields of education, primary health, protection, PSS and child rights.
Terre des Hommes Italia works in Lebanon since 2006. Since then, it has implemented several educational, protection and livelihood interventions in the most deprived areas of the country and in the Palestinian refugee camps.
Since the onset of the Syria crisis, Terre des Hommes has provided support to the Syrian refugee families fleeing their country and looking for a shelter in Lebanon, thanks to the support various donors (ECHO, EU, UNICEF, UNHCR, International Cooperation, OCHA).
In the framework of its programs, TDH IT is partnering with community-based organisations for the implementation of activities in various location in North Beqaa and Mount Lebanon. As part of the partnership, TDH IT is in charge of developing a capacity building process local partners and its staff.
Terre des Hommes Italia is in the process of assessing its own internal capacity gaps and learning needs and recently established a Learning and Capacity Development department. Given that these needs are closely tied to the support given to local partners and its technical staff, Terre des Hommes also expects that the LCD Manager will be able to assess institutional capacity gaps and to contribute to the development of a capacity-building strategy.
The LCD Manager will be responsible of:
Capacity assessment of TDH IT’s partners
- Ensuring that TDH IT’s capacity building programs and efforts meet the needs of the beneficiaries and key stakeholders and are based on practical applied experience
· Liaising with relevant department in TDH IT (Program, M&E, Child Protection, Education) to define tools and methodology for capacity development assessment to be conducted with local partners
· With the support of TDH It staff, conducting regular capacity assessment with local partners aimed to identify gaps and opportunity for further learning
· Develop Capacity Development Plans tailored on the needs and aspirations of assessed partners and using a participatory approach
· Supervise the implementation of Capacity Development plans and contribute to the progress monitoring process as well as to the development of specific tools in English when needed
· Identifying/mapping available internal and external capacity development opportunities for identified gaps in capacity assessment (including program management, financial and technical management)
Contributing to TDH IT’s capacity development strategy
· In coordination with TDH IT programmatic and administrative departments, conducting a regular assessment of learning needs and suggest a strategy for capacity-building
· Observing the key trainings already delivered to partners, stakeholders and staff and provide technical feedback on facilitation and suggestions for improvement
· Reviewing the materials pack for each of TDH’s core training courses and adjust as necessary to ensure high quality from an adult learning perspective
· Providing technical guidance to TDH It senior staff management in developing the Learning and Capacity Building department
· Supporting the recruitment process of staff working under the LCD department including the definition of roles and terms of reference (ToR)
· Conducting evaluations of trainings and adjust as needed. Ensure proper training materials are available based on needs of each departments
- Overseeing quality training materials and suitability for internal use as well as for capacity building of partners and stakeholders
- Feed TDH IT online Learning platform with newly developed contents and facilitate staff and partners easy access to it
- Contributing to the design and drafting of new proposals as far as trainings and capacity building components are concerned
- Maintaining an archive of key documents and keeping records concerning project activity for reporting purposes.
Position Reports to: Country Delegate
Technical reference/Indirect Reporting: Child Protection Program Manager, Education Program Manager, Technical Advisors
Collaborates with: MEAL Country Manager, CP expert, Training coordinator, Project managers
Other Internal and/or external contacts: Logistics and Supply Chain and Finance Dept.
Internal: Other members of TDH IT programs in the field
External: Donors, local partners –Other NGOs/INGOs, and SDCs
Education / Training
· Degree (MA or PhD) in the field of Social Science, Community Development, Development, Organizational strengthening or relevant field
· Sound knowledge of main methodologies to conduct social research
· Security and hostile environment are a plus
· At least 5 years of professional work experience in capacity development, knowledge management, behavioural change
· Proven experience in the field of capacity assessment/capacity development with CBOs in Lebanon and/or the Middle East is an asset
· Demonstrated understanding of humanitarian response, coordination mechanisms, humanitarian reform and action.
· Substantial experience in emergency and post-crisis environments
· Demonstrated experience in engaging various stakeholders
Knowledge & skills and Required Personal Characteristics (fitting into team, suitability for the job and assignment/mission)
· Ability to formulate strategic documents for programming, engagement, and coordination involving organizations and local authorities
· Strong strategic decision-making skills
· Experience in and knowledge of the Syrian crisis and response is considered a strong asset
· High-level of communication skills, including ability to speak formally, negotiate, demonstrate tact and diplomacy, and advocate for child protection issues with humanitarian community and authorities
· Proven applied knowledge of the principles of adult learning, including the design and delivery of training and the development of capacity-development strategies
· Experience in building capacity of teams and staff at different levels and in different contexts
· Fluency in English; Arabic is an asset
· Commitment to the aims, principles and values of TDH IT
· Ability to work well both independently and in a team, under pressure and in response to changing needs
· Very high sense of discretion and integrity when dealing with sensitive information
· High degree of responsibility, of taking initiatives, of having emotional stability
· The ability to prioritize a heavy workload and to delegate accordingly, and under culturally sensitive situations
· Self-motivated, flexible and adaptable to the needs of the team and organization
Salary according to experience and TDH IT salary scale. Since the position advertised for is unaccompanied, TDH will not be responsible for providing benefits for the selected candidate’s family members.