CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 1902765
Language and Documentation Specialist
Job Posting: 15/Nov/2019
Closure Date: 06/Dec/2019, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : CPA
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition : Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level : N/A
Primary Location: Italy-Rome
Duration : 11 months
Post Number : N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Conference, Council and Protocol Affairs Division (CPA) is responsible for providing liaison between the Organization and its Membership on Governing Body, as well as conference and protocol services. The Meeting Programming and Documentation Service (CPAM) is responsible for meeting scheduling and programming, and for the provision of interpretation, translation terminology and printing services. In particular, it ensures the provision of interpretation for FAO meetings in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish, translation into the languages of the Organization and final typing of translated documents. It is responsible for meetings programming and forecasting, scheduling and monitoring documentation and publications for meetings, and coordinating requests for translation, provision of reference and terminology services, organization of non-FAO meetings and reproduction of documents.
The position is within the context of the documentation management activities of the CPA Division, thus under the supervision of the Chief, CPAM and the incumbent will work under the day-to-day guidance of the Coordinator (Programming and Language Support).
The role of the Language and Documentation Specialist is to overview the full cycle of translation workflow, identify streamline opportunities for the management of translation services, define strategies for the management of translation documents and liaise with the Secretariats of the Governing and Statutory Bodies for effective planning of translation services.
Tasks and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Coordinator (Programming and Language Support), but with full initiative and resourcefulness, the incumbent will:
- Manage specific day-to-day documents received for translation by compiling the reference material useful for translators and by undertaking online research in CPAM internal corpora, UN-repositories, FAO Website and the internet;
- Backstop the reference work by contacting and liaising autonomously with originators, FAO divisions and other UN organizations to provide reference material and solve translators’ queries so as to provide all possible sources of documentation;
- Provide bibliography and quotations by undertaking specific research for language versions of FAO publications and coordinate the completion in all FAO languages so as to ensure appropriate reference workflow;
- Review and analyse issues and trends inherent to the management of Translation Workflow, preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
- Conduct tests for the evaluation and adoption of new systems in support of the provision of translation services;
- Develop best practices for the induction of new systems in support of the provision of translation services;
- In liaison with the Translation-Programming Team, respond to priority issues with specific regard to reception and follow-up of incoming requests for translation;
- Provide estimate costs for requests of translations to FAO originators (publications, meeting documents, correspondence, etc.);
- Manage and coordinate requests for translations between FAO divisions and internal translators within CPAM;
- Coordinate directly with translators for translation requests which need urgent processing and ensure deadlines are met;
- Coordinate the translation of draft reports between FAO divisions and translation groups during Governing Body meetings;
- Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced University degree (for COF.REG) and University Degree (for PSA.SBS) in Linguistic or related field.
- Three years of relevant experience in multilingual documentation management, including provision of conference services.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one language amongst French, Spanish Arabic, Chinese or Russian.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in supporting conference services of international organizations.
- Familiarity with FAO Council and Conference processes is considered a strong asset.
- Familiarity with FAO meeting planning and organizing procedures.
- Candidates will be assessed against the requirements listed above.
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of French, Spanish Arabic, Chinese or Russian would be considered an asset.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
Candidates should upload language certificate/s when submitting their application.
For more information, visit the FAO employment website
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT