ABOUT CONSERVATION INTERNATIONAL
For over 30 years, Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of everyone on Earth. But we are not a run-of-the-mill environmental organization; we are more like a human organization. We know that human beings are totally dependent on nature, and that when we work to save nature we are really working to save ourselves. CI has a staff of over 1,000 employees working in more than 30 countries to build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet. Our goal is to protect the most fundamental things that nature provides to all of us: our food, fresh water, our livelihoods, and a stable climate. CI works at every level, from remote villages to the offices of presidents and CEOs, to find these solutions.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the Africa Field Division’s Regional Senior Director for Conservation Finance, the Investment Director will have the primary responsibility for the day to day investing activities that support the development of sustainable finance models for programmes and projects through the Division. Existing pursuits include the Sustainable Finance Solutions Hub, climate-smart financial inclusion (micro-finance and micro-insurance) and carbon financing.
These will include the origination, negotiation and execution of new investment opportunities, programme management, and fundraising.
The position requires a high level of interaction across multiple Divisions, with external clients and will require representation externally at global conferences and events, developing and maintaining partnerships with investment and development partners engaged in Conservation Finance, grantees and implementing partners
Manage the day-to-day investing activities of CI Ventures (CIV) in Africa through:
- Deal origination: Articulating an investment strategy for the Africa portfolio;
- Investment Negotiation: Leading deal structuring and negotiation of terms with clients; designing and implementing conservation covenants, performance incentives, and innovative financing structures
- Deal Execution: Developing relevant conservation and investment briefs; coordinating internal approval process with relevant departments
- Active Portfolio & Post-Investment: Maintaining an active and supportive relationship with clients; coordinating closely with investees to pursue improvement and opportunities; developing and/or contributing to assessment tools to monitor and evaluate client-specific and portfolio-wide impact;
- Governance: Ensure all activities of CIV are carried out in compliance with internal standards and provisions and Investor/Donor requirements.
- Investment Partner Relationship Management; Mapping out the global network of partners in environmental impact investing in Africa; developing formal MOU’s for investor partner relationships with over 5 investment partners in each CIV market
- Communications and External Events: Raising the profile of CFD through internal/external communications and speaking and external events.
REQUIRED (critical to successful job performance. Applicants not meeting required skills may not be hired)
- Graduate degree plus 5 years’ experience in investment analysis/management, conservation finance, international development, or a related field.
- Understanding of and demonstrated experience in finance, business development, global conservation implementation (ESG), and monitoring and evaluation
- Strong financial and credit evaluation skills with demonstrated ability to negotiate various product offerings including debt and equity
- Business development and client management track record
- Experience working and/or traveling in diverse geographies
- Record of communicating analytical information to varied audiences
- Written and verbal fluency in English (deliver presentations, lead discussions and training)
- Support fundraising efforts and explore new and joint funding opportunities within the global donor and grants sphere. Ensure that the quality of funding proposals is high and compliant with funder interests and requirements.
For a more detailed job description, please visit our website, www.conservation.org, and go to the Careers tab to apply directly through our online job application form. The deadline for receipt of applications is 5 December 2019.
Applicants will need to have the legal right to work in South Africa without employer sponsorship.
- Job City South Africa