Thursday 21 November, 2019 – 10:20
Opportunity closing date:
Friday, 6 December, 2019
mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across eight sub-Saharan African countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower HIV-positive women to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities. Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. To date, m2m has reached over 11M women and children under two, and created more than 10,000 jobs for African women living with HIV. For more, visit .
m2m seeks an objective internal auditor to add value and improve m2m’s overall operations by conducting risk-based internal financial, operational and compliance audits for the organisation. The successful candidate will possess a thorough knowledge of accounting processes and sound objective judgement. This position is based in Cape Town.
Key Performance Areas:
- Performing a full audit cycle for m2m’s Head Office and all Country and Project Offices including risk assessments and control assessments over operations’ effectiveness, financial reliability and compliance with all applicable directives and regulations
- Obtaining, analysing and evaluating accounting documentation, reports, data, etc.
- Preparing risk reports for m2m’s Senior Management team and Board of Directors.
- Development and maintenance of a risk register for the organisation
- Annual risk assessment of the organisation.
- Regular evaluation of projects and country offices to determine compliance with internal processes.
- Investigations into irregularities identified.
- Lead ad hoc investigation into any allegations of misconduct related to m2m assets and resources
- Ad hoc investigations into any whistle-blower allegations;
- Reports and presentations on the results of the internal evaluations and investigations;
- Recommendations to improve areas of deficiencies identified;
- Follow-up reviews of deficiencies identified.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Audit, Finance and/or other related field; Honours advantageous
- 3-5 years working experience as Internal Auditor or Senior Auditor;
- Certified Internal Auditor designation preferred;
- Prior work experience in a non-government organisation (NGO) or development field;
- Experience with Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (Code of Federal Regulations Part 200);
- Proficient in English;
- Proficiency in Portuguese desired.
- Advanced computer skills on MS Office, accounting software and databases;
- Ability to manipulate large amounts of data and to compile detailed reports;
- Proven knowledge of auditing standards and procedures, laws, rules and regulations;
- High attention to detail and excellent analytical skills;
- Sound independent judgement;
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment with individuals from diverse background.
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people.
Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.