CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 1902804
Job Posting: 22/Nov/2019
Closure Date: 13/Dec/2019, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : RLC
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition : Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level : N/A
Primary Location: Home-Based
Duration : 11 months
Post Number : N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The consultant will be home-based with missions to RLC countries providing advice on insurance programming in RLC countries
The consultant will report to FAO´s Disaster Risk Management Officer for Latin America and the Caribbean and will coordinate closely with other technical teams in FAO RLC, SLM, SLC and Rome.
Support to the development and implementation of agriculture insurance schemes to protect agriculture livelihoods.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Promote financial strategies for disaster risk management to ensure adequate public funding for ex ante and ex post disaster risk management, and position agriculture insurance as a key component to transfer risk within such strategies.
- Facilitate the creation or strengthening of national and international public/private alliances between Ministries of Agriculture, Ministries of Finance, national and international financial institutions, insurance companies, insurance modeling firms, producers/farmers/fishing associations and other relevant stakeholders to develop viable agriculture insurance products.
- Support the identification and realistic assessment of agriculture insurance schemes considering social and economic benefits as well as sustainability.
- Draft MoUs, Terms of References and other required documentation to support alliances and working groups required and oversee the functioning of coordination mechanisms across relevant actors.
- Lead the design and implementation of virtual and face-to-face trainings on agriculture insurance.
- Identify potential sources of funding and lead on the elaboration of concept notes and funding proposals to mobilize new resources to support capacity development on risk transfer.
- Assist in the preparation of monitoring and evaluation reports related to this work.
- Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree/ University degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Environmental Economics, or a closely related technical field.
- 10 years of relevant experience in insurance market, products and schemes.
- Working knowledge of English and at least limited knowledge of Spanish.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Extent and relevance of experience in disaster risk management
- Extent and relevance of experience in data management for insurance product design
- Familiarity with the agriculture sector and subsectors (stakeholders, market, value chain related to crops, livestock, fisheries)
- Excellent knowledge of advantages and disadvantages of different insurance options for the agriculture sector considering issues of access, implementation and sustainability.
- Proven capacities to facilitate partnerships and alliance across sectors and public and private stakeholders.
- Good capacity to organize, facilitate and deliver capacity building activities such as trainings and web-based activities directed at public and private entities;
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook).
- At least 5 years’ experience in project management and team management
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
Candidates should upload language certificate/s when submitting their application.
For more information, visit the FAO employment website
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT