Job Posting: 29/Nov/2019
Closure Date: 27/Dec/2019, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : Office of the Inspector-General (OIG)
Job Type: Staff position
Type of Requisition : Senior-level
Grade Level : D-2
Primary Location: Italy-Rome
Duration : Seven years with no possibility of renewal
Post Number : 0012726
Summary of Duties and Functions
Reporting directly to the Director-General, the Inspector General independently designs, organizes and directs a coordinated programme of internal oversight of the programmes and operations of the Organization, through internal audit and investigation. This includes:
- evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of the Organization’s governance, risk management and internal controls;
- advising the Director-General on the functions and programmes audited with independent and objective assurance through systematic assessment, with a view to adding value and improving the Organization’s accountability and overall management and operations;
- providing the strategic direction for the management and implementation of audit and investigation;
- developing, organizing and directing the implementation of a long-term strategy and a risk-based internal audit plan in alignment with FAO’s Strategic Objectives, Risk Profile and Programme of Work;
- ensuring allegations of wrongdoing by FAO personnel, partners and third parties are properly assessed and investigated in a professional and timely manner;
- Sharing initiatives through dissemination and promotion of the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) findings and lesson learned for programme and policy formulation;
- managing the financial and human resources of the Office of the Inspector General efficiently and effectively;
- establishing and maintaining a quality assurance and improvement programme to ensure the OIG functions meet established international standards of professional practices;
- reporting to the FAO Finance Committee on the activities of the Office of the Inspector General, including significant oversight results;
- representing the Organization in oversight matters (audit and investigation);
- perform other related duties as required.
In discharging his/her responsibilities, the Inspector General takes advice from the Audit Committee.
- Advanced University Degree in Auditing, Accounting, Law, Business or Public Administration or Management or other relevant fields;
- A first-level university degree may be considered for applicants with a professional certification from an internationally recognized auditing and accountancy body, such as Chartered Accountant, Certified Public Accountant;
- Certified Internal Auditor designation is desirable and additional professional certifications (such as CISA, CFE, CMA or equivalent) are an advantage;
- Extensive experience in a complex oversight function, preferably in an international environment, of which at least ten years at an executive level or as Chief Audit Executive (CAE);
- High-level and progressively responsible professional experience in a large organization with the use of innovative and cutting-edge auditing and management techniques and approaches to facilitate effectiveness and efficiency of the Office;
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial skills of a high order with maturity and the ability to apply judgment in the exercise of professional independence;
- Ability to handle complex and/or sensitive issues with diplomacy and confidentiality and with sensitivity to the interest of staff and the Organization;
- Familiarity with the UN system or similar international institutions;
- Experience in working with decentralized offices is an advantage;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural background;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
Results focus: Takes accountability for the delivery of agreed results in service of FAO’s Strategic Framework – Leading, engaging and empowering others: Strong leadership with abilities to build relations of trust with internal and external stakeholders, coordinates, directs, facilitates and recognizes team efforts; creates an enabling environment and assists others to realize and develop their potential – Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication – Partnering and Advocating: Promotes ideas and develops partnerships to advance the Organization’s work – Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement: Continually seeks to improve the knowledge, skills and work processes of oneself and others – Strategic thinking: Makes informed and coherent decisions aligned with broader goals and strategies.
The Inspector General will be appointed for a non-renewable term of seven years, without the possibility of employment within FAO at the end of the term.
Results focus: Takes accountability for the delivery of agreed results in service of FAO’s strategic framework – Leading, engaging and empowering others: Coordinates, directs, facilitates and recognizes team efforts; creates an enabling environment and assists others to realize and develop their potential – Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication – Partnering and Advocating: Promotes ideas and develops partnerships to advance the Organization’s work – Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement: Continually seeks to improve the knowledge, skills and work processes of oneself and others – Strategic thinking: Makes informed and coherent decisions aligned with broader goals and strategies.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for all and Integrity and Transparency. Remuneration
FAO adheres to the UN common system of salaries, allowances and benefits. General information regarding salaries and allowances can be found at the International Civil Service Commission Web site: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries allowances/salary.htm
How to Apply
To apply, visit the FAO employment website at Jobs at FAO and complete the on-line application. Only applications received through the employment website will be considered.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]