This position is in the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) based in Islamabad, Pakistan.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Humanitarian Advisory Team (HAT) and working as an integral part of the organization’s team, the incumbent will work in close collaboration with Government and relief/recovery partners and will support the formulation of strategies of engagement in support of the mandate of OCHA at both technical and operational levels. This will require liaison with relief and recovery agencies, central and local authorities, as well as other actors across areas of operation, to ensure effective and transparent coordination. She/he also provides support in humanitarian/development Nexus coordination, humanitarian funding appeals, Humanitarian Country Team secretariat functions, and the monitoring and reporting of humanitarian conditions on a regular basis in support of the UN Resident/Humanitarian Coordinator.
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Office, the National HAO will be responsible for the following:
- Substantial assistance in the implementation of inclusive, field-level coordination mechanisms, including liaison with relevant UN operational agencies, NGOs, and local authorities;
- Regular monitoring and analysis of humanitarian developments and support the preparation of analytical reports highlighting social, political, humanitarian and other relevant factors affecting the overall humanitarian situation;
- Effective monitoring of humanitarian risks to ensure that contingency plans are consistent and well-coordinated including availability of resources; supporting the inter-agency contingency planning;
- Strengthen emergency preparedness measures including drafting inter-agency contingency plans, developing and leading preparedness exercises, monitoring natural disaster trends, and provide preparedness advisory services to Gov. and partners.
- Support advocacy initiatives on issues impacting humanitarian needs and response efforts through the collection of information, liaison with humanitarian partners, government officials, and media, development of appropriate strategies, etc.;
- Provision of secretariat and coordination support to the UN Humanitarian Coordinator/HCT, and provide analytic inputs to humanitarian strategies;
- Liaise with humanitarian partners on the collection of information to effectively map areas of humanitarian needs and response activities in support of coordination efforts; and track information required for early warning of potential conflict and conflict-related vulnerability
- Perform other duties, as assigned by the Head of Office.
This position may involve extensive traveling within Pakistan as well as providing international surge support to regional countries up to 30% of the time.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and exposure to a wide range of humanitarian issues , emergency relief and related human rights issues;
- Conceptual and strategic analytical capacity, to analyze and articulate the protection dimension of complex issues that require a coordinated UN response;
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills; and very good knowledge of region of assignment, including the political, economic and social dimensions;
- Strong negotiating skills and ability to influence others to reach agreement;
- Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. civil strife, natural disasters and human misery);
- Very good knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian protection and knowledge of the institutions of the UN system;
- Demonstrated ability to complete in-depth studies and to formulate conclusions/recommendations;
- Ability to relate humanitarian protection issues and perspectives, including gender issues, to political, economic, social and human rights programmes in affected region.
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to convey complex concepts and recommendations to staff at senior levels, both orally and in writing, in a clear, concise style.
Planning & Organizing:
- Ability to coordinate the work of others, work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
- Ability to identify client’s needs and match them to appropriate solutions;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
- Capacity to keep clients informed of [progress or setbacks in ongoing projects. Ability to monitor ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate potential problems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Completed advanced university degree (Masters Degree) in political and/or social science, international relations, public administration, law, economics, engineering, earth sciences or related fields is a must.
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant work experience in a senior position, in the field of Humanitarian Affairs/ International development.
- Relevant experience in working with an UN agency or other humanitarian agency is desirable.
- Experience in the area of emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, humanitarian/development environment, field coordination is an asset.
- An excellent command of both writing and speaking English and Urdu is required.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension