VA ID: 612
Grade Level: P-3
Division: Office of the Executive Secretary
Section: Human Resources Services
Unit: Recruitment and Staff Development Unit
Type of Appointment: Fixed Term Appointment
Deadline for Applications: 30/12/2019
Reference No.: 326/15 (21000227)
Reporting Date: As soon as possible
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
Organizational Background The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
This position is located in the Human Resources Services, Office of the Executive Secretary.
Under the overall guidance of the Director, Human Resources Services and the direct supervision of the Head, Recruitment and Staff Development, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties: :
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the management and supervision of effective processing and implementing recruitment policies and guidelines for all categories of staff, fixed-term, short-term, consultants, temporary assistants, and interns;
- Monitor the effective processing of filling of vacant posts; oversee post classification, issuance and approval of vacancy announcements, evaluation of applications, preparation of short-listed candidates, conducting of interviews, assessing candidates, arranging Personnel Advisory Panels, finalization of Panel reports and submission to the Executive Secretary;
- Conduct research on contemporary and best practices in recruitment and staff development; including automation of the recruitment and staff training and development;
- Advise managers on the preparation of draft job descriptions for posts that require classification and job analysis, arrange to forward the final document for classification in line with the prevailing guidelines;
- Coordinate with the Human Resources Assistant, the training needs analysis, development, delivery and evaluation of staff training in consultation with substantive Divisions;
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Staff Administration Unit, regarding the maintenance and updating of the Staffing Table;
- Certify budget related obligations and approve payments in the areas of responsibilities;
- Represent the Human Resources Services in joint bodies, task forces and working groups related to the areas of responsibilities;
- Collaborate with counterparts in Vienna Based Organizations (VBOS) for sharing best practices and knowledge;
- Contribute to the knowledge transfer and knowledge sharing initiatives of the Human Resources Services, and to the further development and documentation of standard operating procedures and working practices to create an environment that emphasizes continuous improvement; keep abreast of new developments in the field of Human Resources;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Qualifications
- First level university degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, human resources, law or in a related field;
- At least five years relevant and progressive work experience in the field of human resources management including two years in recruitment. Experience working in an international environment is an advantage;
- Proficient in MS Office; and knowledge of ERP systems would be an asset.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential;
- Knowledge of other languages is desirable.
- Professionalism – Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication– Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning and organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts printouts as requested; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Creativity – Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks ‘outside the box’; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Client orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be ‘clients’ and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
- Commitment to continuous learning – Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Technological Awareness – Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
Remuneration: CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund and Health Insurance Scheme.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process or be requested to provide performance assessments.