VA ID: 607
Grade Level: P-3
Division: Office of the Executive Secretary
Section: Human Resources Services
Unit: Staff Administration Unit
Type of Appointment: Fixed Term Appointment
Deadline for Applications: 18/12/2019
Reference No.: 90/98 (20250278)
Reporting Date: As soon as possible
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
Organizational Background The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
This position is located in the Human Resources Services, Office of the Executive Secretary.
Under the supervision of the Head, Staff Administration Unit, to: :
Duties and Responsibilities
- Keep under review existing policy guidelines in all areas of the Section, identify issues that require change, propose modifications, discuss, formulate and test approaches or processes and prepare the related policy papers for review;
- Provide operational support to the Recruitment and Administration functions within the HR Services.
- Undertake research on HR matters, including exploring Human Resources best practices in other inter-governmental, non-governmental and international organizations and make recommendations for consideration; Draft HR policy papers, administrative directives, information circulars and staff bulletins; provide written comments and recommendations on legal matters and support staff in preparing replies to correspondence;
- Serve as the focal point for all issues requiring first level legal interpretation and opinion. Undertake research and prepare comments and/advice on the legal aspects of HR issues handled by the HR Services taking into account the CTBTO Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative directives, international law and relevant principles of law, jurisprudence of ILOAT;
- Coordinate/support the smooth administration of the social security and Health Insurance of the Organization social security schemes.
- Prepare written briefs, provide information on administrative matters for responses to the Joint Appeals Panel in liaison with the Legal Section, as appropriate and maintain the HR Services’ legal records as required;
- Serve as the focal point for Ethics within the HR Services, coordinate and ensure timely and appropriate administrative action on matters regarding discipline and compliance to the code of conduct, ethical issues, gender and diversity in accordance with the set policy guidelines; as required participate in the resolution of conflicts, finding or mediating solutions to a broad range of issues;
- Contribute to the knowledge transfer and knowledge sharing initiatives of the HR Services, development and documentation of standard operating procedures and working practices to create an environment that emphasizes continuous improvement.
- Maintain and update implementation data related to the recruitment and staff administration processes, manage the process of up-dating and analyzing statistical data related to the HR Services and prepare periodic reports for action; serve on working groups, committees and panels as required;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Qualifications
- University degree in law, preferably with emphasis on international labour and/or administrative law.
- At least five (5) years relevant working experience in the field of human resource management and law with emphasis on employee/industrial relations, research and analysis, HR policy review and interpretation of Staff Regulations and Rules, at least two years of which should have been in an international environment;
- Knowledge of SAP is an asset.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential.
- Knowledge of other languages is desirable.
- Professionalism – Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication– Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning and organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts printouts as requested; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Creativity – Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks ‘outside the box’; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Client orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be ‘clients’ and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
- Commitment to continuous learning – Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Technological Awareness – Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
Remuneration: CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund and Health Insurance Scheme.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process or be requested to provide performance assessments.