Friday 22 November, 2019 – 14:09
Opportunity closing date:
Friday, 6 December, 2019
Population Services International (PSI) is an international NGO network operating in over 50 countries. PSI in South Africa currently concentrates on issues of HIV/ AIDS with the view to strategically expand to other public health areas. As part of its HIV/AIDS control efforts, PSI is using social marketing to motivate behaviour change concerning consistent condom use, HIV testing, and other safer behaviours.
Population Services International (PSI) seeks to fill the exciting and challenging roles of Executive Assistant and Temporary Head of Operations to be based at PSI’s Head Office in Gauteng with some flexibility to work from home:
The Executive Assistant will work directly with and provide high quality executive assistance to the Country Representative.
The incumbent must be a highly experienced professional with the ability to manage the office calendar and provide the Country Representative and Board Director with governance related deliverables. Other attributes include the ability to engage effectively with a diverse group of staff and stakeholders.
Key responsibilities for this senior challenging position include:
- Scheduling all Executive Management related meetings, Senior Management Team meetings, staff meetings etc., drafting agendas and taking minutes as required
- Meeting, greeting and liaising with visitors at all levels of seniority from within and outside the organization
- Supporting the Country Representative with Board Director and governance related deliverables
- Scheduling and calendarising Board and Board Committee meetings in close liaison with the Country Representative, Board Chair and respective Committee Chairs
- Maintaining office systems, including filing of documents related to donors, contracts, strategic plans, activities, reports, and finance
- Assisting Country Representative in preparation of documents, including PowerPoint presentations, create excel spreadsheets, compile and analyse data, and draft correspondence as required
- Organising and attending meetings and ensuring that the Director and SFH Management team are prepared for those meetings with dossiers as needed
The Executive Assistant must be a highly professional, responsible and emotionally intelligent individual with the following proven qualifications, skills and experience:
- Higher National Diploma in Administration/ Bachelor’s Degree/ or equivalent business or management or and secretarial
- Valid driver’s licence and flexibility to travel out of town when required
- Minimum five years’ experience in a similar role as an Executive Assistant, Executive PA etc.
- Previous board governance experience is essential
- The job holder must be a strong communicator who is able to interact across all levels within the organisation as well as external parties
- A high level of English proficiency with a strong emphasis on grammatical competence and the ability to write clearly and simply and produce high-quality reports, correspondence etc.
- The role requires multi-tasking under pressure and the provision of administrative support in a well-organised and timely manner, while acting with utmost discretion in dealing with confidential matters
- Good strong personality and ability to work after hours when necessary; as well as taking after-hours work-related phone calls
TEMPORARY HEAD OF OPERATIONS (4-month contract)
The Head of Operations will come on board for a 4 month period to supervise fleet, facilities, assets and manage risk & security to ensure efficient and cost-effective procedures within the PSI HQ guidelines. The job exists to set up and facilitate a conducive, safe and secure working environment for staff, property and assets. The incumbent will be an effective communicator able to interact effectively with everyone in the workplace as well as service providers, public officials and colleagues.
Key responsibilities for this exciting and challenging position include:
- Ensuring that vehicles (vehicles, caravans, trailers and motor bikes) are serviced/repaired, licenced, insured, roadworthy and have the standard tools and accessories required by the traffic regulatory bodies
- Identifying and negotiating for the best office/warehouse space at the best rental per square meter, best location and best property conditions within the given budget
- Identifying the organisation’s insurance needs based on program requirements
- Ensuring that assets, staff and Board Directors are insured through insurance policies
- Identifying security needs at all rented premises and recommend the best and cost-effective solution (physical security, electronic security or a combination of both).
- Providing inputs for fleet, assets and services into the budget and monitor & report on expenditure
- Compiling a monthly mobile phone usage schedule for the Executive Team for recovery of any excess to allocated mobile phone costs and submit same to payroll for recovery
- Overseeing preparation of monthly inventory reports and variance analysis
- Facilitating unscheduled and scheduled repairs and maintenance of office equipment (copiers, aircons, vacuum cleaners etc.) across the country platforms
- Receiving requests of employees to be vetted from the Human Resources department through a memo, to conduct background checks as and when required
- Maintaining the security electronic systems to make sure they are working efficiently and serviced regularly by the system vendors
The Head of Operations must be a strong individual who possesses and is be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Post graduate qualifications in Operations Management / Business Management/ Project Management
- At least five years’ senior management experience in a similar role
- Ideally previous experience working in an organisation funded by PEPFAR, USAID or the Global Fund
- Demonstrated successful development of cohesive teams and growing the professional capacities of team members
- Measured and appropriate judgment, flexibility and willingness to work simultaneously on a wide range of tasks
- Must be democratic, responsive, accountable, diplomatic and transparent in all his/ her actions.
- Experienced in risk management
- The ideal candidate should be able to think creatively and laterally and possess excellent communications and interpersonal skills
- Analytical thinking and attention to detail and demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and tight deadlines
- Demonstrate humility, willingness to listen and learn in the company of colleagues, as well as internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent, writing, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills
- Be willing to undertake frequent travel as required
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at