Head of Human Resources Department( Ugandan National)
Years of experience:
04 Dec 2019
Head of Human Resources Department( Ugandan National)
We are looking for a highly qualified and competent Head of Human Resource Department to provide strategic leadership and direction to human resource functions of the organization in line with country strategy and mandate. The position will be based in Kampala Uganda.
Action Against Hunger is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children. We ensure families can access clean water, food, training, and health care. We enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 7,600 staff in over 45 countries, we have reached over 20 million people with funding over US$425M and responded to 37 emergencies in 2018.
About the program
Action Against Hunger began its work in Uganda since 1980 in response to famine conditions in the Karamoja Region where we saved the lives of undernourished children while building the capacities of the community. We have been continuously operating in Uganda for the last 22 years delivering interventions in nutrition, WASH and Food Security and Livelihoods. For the last three years and with the same aim of saving lives and empowering the community, we have been working in the Northern part of Uganda to save lives of refugees and host communities while providing long term solutions to hunger. We are currently operating in and around Bidibidi, Kyangwali, Adjumani and Kiryandongo refugee settlements. Some of the major donors we have worked with include but not omitted to, ECHO, DFID, SIDA, WFP, BPRM, and French Embassy.
You’ll contribute to ending world hunger by …
positioning Action Against Hunger Uganda mission as an employer of choice and provide a compelling employee value proposition through a wide range of Human Resources services in line with Against Hunger Uganda country strategy, core values and mandate.
Key activities in your role will include:
- Lead and provide strategic direction of human resource management strategy and contribute to all processes that lead to enhanced organizational development and leadership in Uganda country office.
- Devise and implement recruitment strategy and guidelines of Action Against Hunger to attract, develop and retain talent in line with country strategy.
- Develop, review and align Human Resource policies, procedures and guidelines in line with Uganda labor laws and enforce compliance of staff and management on organizational polices and Action Against Hunger Uganda core values.
- Champion a strong performance management culture and continuously review performance management systems ensuring adherence to Action Against Hunger performance management frameworks and guidelines.
- Implement and review Action Against Hunger compensation and benefit frameworks ensuring that pay and benefit administration is implemented in line with Action Against Hunger policies and procedures and aligned to the Uganda Labor laws.
- Develop and monitor HR budgets and staff costs ensuring that all expenses are made in line with Action Against Hunger policies and procedures
- Identify and analyze issues affecting consistent delivery of HR services and functions and recommend remedial solutions to management and staff.
- Build and maintain relationships with government agencies/ministries/departments and other key stakeholders to create a network of collaboration to positively support HR services in line with government requirements and Action Against Hunger programmes.
- Represent Action Against Huger in HR related networks and participate in engagements for mutual HR support, learning, collaboration and support.
- Lead the process of on-boarding and exit interviews for staff ensuring that all on boarding arrangements are implemented in line with Action Against Hunger guidelines.
Develop and implement staff training and development plans for the country office and lead in capacity development initiatives and programmes for all staff and HR team.Gender Equality Commitments
Foster an environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information.
Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
Value and respect all cultures.
The position will be a budget holder of staff related costs, manage payroll and benefits for staff.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required. Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
- You are enthusiastically pursuing a career in senior management.
- You have a Master’s degree in Human Resource Management or Organizational Psychology from a recognized institute.
- You have seven years’ experience in implementing HR interventions in an International NGO, three of which should be in a senior HR Management role.
- You are a member of Human Resources Managers’ Association of Uganda.
- You are able to work effectively in a multi-sectoral organization requiring strong communication, planning & organization skills.
- You have proven ability to lead and motivate staff and create opportunities for their development.
- You have strong interpersonal skills with ability to initiate good team understanding and people management.
- You possess strong knowledge of recruitment, payroll & benefits management, training & development.
- You have a good understanding of national labor law and employment norms and practices in the country.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills, with experience communicating in different cultural work environments & with a wide diversity of culture.
- You are approachable, diplomatic, respecting confidentiality, and able to work effectively in diverse environment.
- You are highly organized, detail oriented and able to work under pressure.
- You are disciplined, self-motivated and able to set and meet deadlines, work autonomously and arrive at decisions and conclusions with minimal guidance, and within timeline.
- You have the capacity to analyze HR related information and reporting large amounts of information.
- You have good practical knowledge of commonly used computer software (word, outlook, excel, power point).
Our Core values.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA-USA’s five core competencies
Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence– we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment– we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
Action Against Hunger values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to: –
- Health Insurance for you and your dependants
- Resettlement allowance (One off payment)
- Starting gross salary UGX 6,405,000
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- 13th month pay
- Group Personal Accident
- Training opportunities