UNDP has been working in China for the past 40 years, partnering to advance various phases of China’s development. UNDP continues to be in the forefront of working with China both to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) domestically and through China’s global cooperation around the world. UNDP’s support in China is closely aligned with China’s national development strategy. We facilitate the achievement of the SDGs in line with the 13th Five-Year Plan promoting sustainable development principles in development and economic decisions, focusing on reducing inequality, recalibrating the economy for more inclusive growth, reducing the environmental impact of China’s rapid development putting the country on a low-carbon footprint, and assisting China’s increasing role in global development cooperation as an effective development partner.
In response to the UNDP’s new Gender Equality Strategy 2018-2021, and corresponding Gender Parity Strategy, the China office has revived its Gender and Diversity Focal Team (GDFT) to better contribute towards Signature Solution 6 of the UNDP Strategic Plan 2018-2021 on strengthening gender equality. The GDFT has been renamed Gender and Diversity Task Force in line with the new emphasis placed on diversity and inclusion and the 2030 Agenda principle of Leaving No One Behind (LNOB). The GDFT’s overarching objectives is to support 1) a culture of inclusion and advocacy, and 2) co-creating better development solutions through knowledge of gender and diversity issues. Both Gender mainstreaming and Results Based Management (RBM) are key programmatic principles for the UN and UNDP, and an integral part of the programme and projects’ quality assurance process.
In this context, the Gender and RBM Assistant will be tasked with supporting the overall programme and project quality assurance process at the office with a special emphasis on promoting and applying a RBM and gender/LNOB lens; supporting the mainstreaming of gender and LNOB considerations in the new strategic frameworks of the UN/DP in China; every-day support to the GDFT and UNDP management on gender related issues; and the roll-out of marking the 25th anniversary of the Beijing Platform for Action.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support UNDP programmes and projects in strengthening the gender and results lens and application throughout programme/project lifecycle.
- Formulate UNDP in-office gender mainstreaming strategies after in-depth research on UN/UNDP pertinent policies and coordinate and facilitate office-wide gender mainstreaming capacity building activities.
- Provide effective coordination and technical support to the GDTF.
- Collection of background information to support the formulation of the new CO programme and provide support for gender mainstreaming and RBM.
- Help strengthen the existing project quality assurance (QA) process, e,g, presentation of information and documentation
- Provision the information to support designing and refining actionable in-office gender mainstreaming tools and methodologies, and ensure these are well adopted throughout project design, implementation and closure stage
- provision of inputs to prepare UNDP Results Oriented Annual Report (ROAR), corporate and donor reports, and other strategic documents, with a focus on evidence-based reporting.
- Support other routine activities within the M&E Team as needed.
- Contribute to sub-regional, regional and inter-agency initiatives related to gender issues, including the Asia Pacific Regional Programme on LGBTI Inclusion.
- Provide administrative support to office-wide gender mainstreaming and RBM related trainings, knowledge sharing sessions etc., in an effort to enhance in-office capacity in these regards.
- Provide inputs to the development of a new gender/ LNOB-related portfolio, both focused on integration of gender in existing programmes/projects as well as creating standalone or joint-programmes with other UN agencies (for example UN Women).
- Serve as the GDFT’s Secretariat – responsible for organizing and documenting the GDFT meetings and keeping records of their deliberations.
- Provide administrative support on implementation of the Office’s Gender Equality and Diversity Strategy and the GDFT’s Work Plan, including the activities to mark the 25th Anniversary of the Beijing Platform of Action.
- Support the distribution of good practices and tools on gender issues for the Programme Clusters/Teams.
Impact of Results
Improve existing gender policies and relevant linkages to UNDP programming and support that gender and RBM becomes a cross cutting consideration in all programme activities.
- Good coordination and organizational skills: ability to manage multiple projects, address fluctuating priorities and tight deadline. Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, sexual orientation and age -sensitivity and -adaptability;
- Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation;
- Pragmatic and initiative-taking person with a goal-oriented mind-set and can-do attitude. Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Communicates effectively when working in teams and independently;
- Interest and motivation in working in an international organization;
- Knowledge and a proficient user of Microsoft Office productivity tools.
Bachelor’s degree in related field of study (International development, international relations, economics, political science, social sciences or related.
1 year of professional working experience in development project management or related field;Professional experience in gender mainstreaming and/or diversity aspects/components is a strong asset;UN experience is an asset;Experience working in a development setting outside of China is an asset.
Fluency – both oral and written – in English and Mandarin Chinese required; Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage.
Contract Duration: 6 months