Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps works in 13 states within the key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Gender & Protection Program Assistant
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00080
Location: Damboa, Borno
- Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, EU, and ECHO the humanitarian programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to food assistance, non-food items, protection, livelihoods, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
- Mercy Corps is scaling-up and expanding its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional assistance in a wider geographic area.
General Position Summary
- The Gender and Protection Program assistant is responsible for assisting in the implementation of Protection sector activities including the mobilization of women’s groups, supporting the training on topics such as psychological first aid, and sexual and gender based violence (SGBV), supporting the master trainers in communities in ensuring referrals are done in a coordinated and appropriate ways.
- With the support of the Senior Program Officer, s/he will also advise and build capacity of other sector teams on gender and protection mainstreaming and best practices.
- S/he will report directly to the Protection & Gender Senior Program Officer and will work closely with other sectors in the respective filed offices.
Essential Job Functions
- Support the implementation of protection activities and ensured adequate gender mainstreaming across program field locations;
- Facilitate monthly review meetings with Master Trainers, Mentors, Coordinators and the community across Damboa implementation sites
- With support from the Gender and Protection Officer, SPO and Program Manager, Hadin Kai and Program Manager OFDA, ensure that program implementation mainstreams gender and protection in coordination with best practices;
- Provide weekly field reports, capturing activities progress, lessons learned, success stories on the project as well as general situation and community updates and needs.
- Lead where necessary community meetings to identify gender related priorities and protection concerns.
- Establish and maintain effective program reporting and planning with Mentors and Coordinators
- Support the Gender and Protection Officer, SPO and Program Manager, Hadin Kai and Program Manager OFDA in integrating community approaches, protection mainstreaming, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate in specific locations
- Ensure program filing system is in place, adheres to internal and donor regulation and filing is regularly maintained;
- Support MEL and program teams in conducting routine quality checks, monitoring, supervision and endline evaluation and other duties as assigned.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Reports Directly To: Gender & Protection Senior Program Officer
- Works Directly With: Finance, Program, MEL, and Operation Teams.
Requirements, Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s or its equivalent in Social Sciences in relevant field required;
- 1 year of experience working on the development, implementation, administration and compliance of a field-based international development or humanitarian program; general gender and protection mainstreaming experience & knowledge required.
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders to identify beneficiaries according to criteria required.
- Committed to humanitarian work and principles
- Willingness to conduct gender analysis, protection assessments, monitoring and evaluation and other learning efforts required.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local and in local civil society organizations.
- Commitment to renewing and maintaining knowledge of best practices
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral, written and computer skills required
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa, Kanuri and Marghi is required.
- The successful candidate will have a can-do attitude. Ideally s/he will be very committed and willingness to learn and work in remote locations. . S/he is a problem solver, an effective community mobilizer who is adept in successfully dealing with issues of complexity. S/he is an active listener and contributor, working to create a strong team share ideas and learn.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit no more than 4-page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected]
Drop off application in a sealed envelope with Gender and Protection Assistant boldly written to Mercy Corps Nigeria Damboa Office.
- All applications must include the position title, location and Reference Number in the subject line.
- Candidate must be resident in location applied for.
- Indigenes of local communities that meet the requirements are encouraged to apply.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- Job City Borno