Wednesday 13 November, 2019 – 13:35
Institute for Justice and Reconciliation
Opportunity closing date:
Monday, 18 November, 2019
The Institute for Justice and Reconciliation (IJR) was founded in the wake of the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission and promotes fair, democratic, and inclusive societies in post-conflict states across Africa. The South African Reconciliation Barometer (SARB) is a national survey-based public opinion project, located in the IJR’s Research and Policy Unit in Cape Town. Since its launch in 2003, the Barometer has measured citizen attitudes towards national reconciliation, social cohesion, economic transformation, and democratic governance in South Africa.
IJR seeks to appoint a Fundraising Assistant to be based in Cape Town.
Start Date: 01 December 2019
The purpose of this position is to innovate and consolidate its fundraising efforts. The Fundraising Assistant will work as part of a dynamic team and across the organisation with all staff.
This is a wonderful opportunity for an individual who has some experience in the fundraising sector, but who would like to grow their talent.
- Prospect Research concerning funding opportunities, such as (but not limited to): fundraising trends, online giving campaigns; corporate social investment (CSI) and philanthropic individuals or organisations
- Assist in maintaining a database of fundraising opportunities
- Assist in writing concept notes, campaigns and project proposals
- Regularly monitor donor websites and identify investor opportunities matching the work
- Undertake independent research in finding alternative resources for long-term sustainability
- Undertake online research and build contacts with potential individual investors/donors and raise funds for the activities of the IJR
- Suggest other innovative ideas for effective resource mobilization
- Contribute to IJR’s media profile
- Administration of electronic databases, archive and knowledge management systems
- Assist with ad-hoc tasks
- A degree/diploma in any business-related subjects such as economics, sales and marketing from an accredited tertiary institution
- Experience in research and report writing
- Experience in working with target and deadlines
- Project management skills
- Computer Literacy skills (MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint)
- Previous experience working in an office environment and assisting with administrative work
- Experience with Salesforce (added advantage, but not essential)
- Previous experience with fundraising or fundraising events (added advantage, but not essential)
- A creative, pro-active and energetic attitude
Documents required for application:
Please submit your CV with a minimum of 2 references and a brief motivational letter by 18 November 2019.
Only applications with the required documentations will be accepted.
Contact: Juzaida Swain
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application –
For more information about IJR refer to
For other opportunities in the NGO sector, refer to