Follow this company
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant. Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Program Delivery (PDEL) – Pact exists to help create a world where those who are poor and marginalized exercise their voice, build their own solutions, and take ownership of their future. The Program Delivery Team, contributes to realizing this purpose by: Forging smart partnerships and treating all people with dignity and respect; Applying organizational policies and regulatory compliance appropriately and consistently; Facilitating team spirit among colleagues and promoting the organization through communications; Influencing decision makers through focused, relevant communications; Continually striving to learn and share knowledge and find small ways to make the workplace more enjoyable for all; Cultivating and harvesting innovation; Contributing to the organization’s ability to think and act strategically at all times; Inspiring and spreading our desired organizational culture across the global enterprise.
Pact is recruiting a Director of Finance for an upcoming five-year, USAID-funded vulnerable children and adolescents (VCA) program – Service Delivery for Vulnerable Children and Adolescents (SDVCA). SDCVA seeks to improve the resilience and health outcomes of vulnerable households in four provinces in Zambia with the highest HIV burdens, while strengthening the Government of the Republic of Zambia’s (GRZ) social protection platform so that the GRZ eventually provides the majority of services to VCA. The program is intended to provide evidence-based services that will deliver measurable results for VCA and their caregivers in the following activities: * Health: Improve children and adolescents’ access to health services with a focus on high impact HIV services
- Education Support: Increase school access, attendance, and progression of VCA
- Psychosocial Care and Support: Structured, evidence-based interventions that support VCA to build self-efficacy and enable them to navigate the social and psychological vulnerabilities of adolescence, especially those focused on sexual and reproductive health and prevention of HIV and sexual violence
- Household Economic Strengthening (HES): Structured, evidence-based interventions that reduce the economic vulnerability of families, strengthen their resilience, an empower them to provide for the essential needs of the household
- Child Protection: Prevent and respond to child abuse, neglect, and exploitation, with particular focus on prevention of sexual violence for 9-14-year-old adolescents
- Capacity Building: Capacity-building and systems strengthening intervention
The Director of Finance will be the lead expert for financial operations and management. Responsibilities include being responsible for efficient resource deployment and use, program accounting and financial reporting systems, cost-share and related reporting, and ensuring compliance with USAID financial and accounting rules and regulations. This position is contingent upon award.
General Financial Management
- Lead on all administration and procurement coordination and ensure an effective and efficient operating platform for the program.
- Work closely with senior management to address any financial or performance issues to ensure smooth implementation, financial and technical reporting, and tracking of the individual partner activities against work plans.
- Design and implement systems and procedures following Pact standards adapted to handle specific country constraints and conditions yet ensuring adequate internal controls and minimizing risks.
- Supervise the finance team in reviewing cash receipts and disbursement transactions such as but not limited to travel, advances and liquidations of sub-grantee expenses, and vendor transactions -ensuring the adequacy of supporting documents and appropriate cost accounting allocations.
- Work with the relevant Departments (Programs, M&E, etc.) on integrated management of all project finances to ensure effective use of resources to achieve program objectives in compliance with all donor requirements.
- Provide training and guidance to field staff on Pact policies, procedures, and requirements; donor guidelines, procedures, and requirements; rules and regulations.
- Review monthly Financial Reports from field programs for completeness and accuracy; ensure appropriate budget approvals and submit to HQ Finance department.
Grants and Contracts Administration
- Support the DCOP and Transition Team’s capacity development efforts; provide training and guidance to local partners on financial systems to ensure prime readiness
- In collaboration with the Agreements Management Department, design, develop, and adopt policies, guidelines, and criteria for the management of sub-recipient and subcontractor financing using the Pact worldwide standards for the conditions and constraints of the specific country.
- Oversee and coordinate with the grant’s unit as well as training/mentoring of staff where necessary in the financial management of the programs’ grant agreements with local NGO’s.
- Supervise regular site visits by finance staff to conduct site visits to audit partner transactions matching expenditures to adequate supporting documentation.
- Support financial management of sub-grants, including processing advances/liquidations, monitoring/compliance visits, and close-out procedures.
Budgeting and Financial Planning
- Responsible for oversight of budget preparation, processes, and management in conjunction with the relevant program managers, including the development and review of relevant standard costs and scales for the programs. Track expenditures and justify allocations and reclassifications, when required.
- Track program cost-share ensuring it is compliant with donor requirements.
- Approve journal vouchers and ensure accurate, current, and complete entries into the financial management system including providing adequate supporting documentation
- Assist in the development and tracking of budgets for field programs.
- A Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or other relevant fields and 11 or more years of experience; or a bachelor’s or certified accounting degree with 13 years of experience.
- Minimum 8 years of experience in accounting, operations and financial management of large-scale, complex, international development assistance programs in developing countries;
- A minimum of 8 years of experience overseeing the procurement administration and financial management and reporting of a PEPFAR-funded activity;
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in developing and managing large budgets, including proficiency in relevant computer applications and databases.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of U.S. Government financial and procurement rules and regulations;
- Demonstrated supervisory experience, interpersonal skills, and team-building experience.
- Demonstrated written, presentation, communication, and organizational skills in English.
- Professional experience in sub-Saharan Africa is required
- Zambian work experience preferred. Zambian National preferred.
- Familiar with USAID’s Non-U.S. Organization Pre-award Survey (NUPAS) tool
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, tobacco use (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization, or other protected classifications or non-merit factors.
About the Organization
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 42-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems, and transforming markets into a force for development. Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, tobacco use (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization, or other protected classifications or non-merit factors.
- Apply now
Start your application
Applications for this position must be completed on the recruiting organization’s website.
Find more international development jobs and create alerts to have opportunities delivered to your inbox.
You can cancel email alerts at any time.