Médecins Sans Frontières, founded in 1971, is an international non-profit organization that provides emergency medical assistance to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters or exclusion from health care. Our teams are made up of tens of thousands of medical professionals, logistics, administrative and various other professions, all guided by our medical ethics and our principles of impartiality, independence and neutrality.
MSF WaCA, created in 2019, is the first MSF headquarters in Africa, and responds to the desire to reinvent the MSF movement after 50 years of humanitarian actions in the world, for more access to care, more reactivity and proactivity for greater medical coverage of affected populations in the world.
Why join us?
You are preparing to become a member of the MSF family, with over 50 years of emergency medical action that earned it the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999.
We are an inclusive organization that considers social and professional well-being a right for all and provides an environment that takes into account the diversity of each volunteer.
MSF WaCA claims an African anchorage that considers the local expertise with which it contributes in the implementation of its activities and makes each member, a key actor of the new dynamics of the humanitarian act in the world.
We Are Looking for:EMERGENCY MEDICAL COORDINATOR
Direct Manager: Emergency Coordinator
Working %: 100%
Position Based in: Field
Mobility: All WaCA’s Interventions Zones
Type of Contract: Fixed-Term Renewable
Position to be filled: As Soon As Possible
To fulfill its mission of assistance to victims of conflicts, epidemics, or natural disasters, MSF-WaCA has set up an emergency unit, based in Abidjan, supporting the different programs.
Considering its strategic and operational ambitions, as well as its portfolio, MSF WaCA is setting up two separate teams dedicated to needs assessment, opening and running of emergency projects/missions.
The candidate is expected to:
1) work in all contexts set by the Operations Department
2) have the flexibility to work in different positions including Project Medical Referent.
3) support regular projects if needed (gap-filling) according to the organization’s needs.
All countries where WaCA operates or wants to operate.
On call, the Emergency Medical Coordinator is available within 48 hours for short-terms interventions. He/she is part of a core team of medical, operational, and support staff responsible for responding to:
- Epidemic outbreaks
- Nutritional crises
- Displaced populations and/or refugees’ camps
- Conflict contexts
- Natural disasters
- Exploratory missions
- Short gaps filling in the field or support on regular missions.
- Assistance on specific dossiers at HQ
Main responsibilities / Activities
- Participate to exploratory missions
- Define, design and implement (or modify) the medical strategy of an emergency intervention.
- Identification and management of the means necessary for the implementation of an emergency intervention.
- Coordination and supervision of medical teams in the field
- Specific Reports on the interventions.
- Gapfilling a Project Medical Referent or Medical Coordinator role in a regular mission
- The Emergency Medical Coordinator can be requested to conduct and/or participate to MSF trainings and to take part in international meetings.
Education / Qualification / Pre-requisites
- University degree, Medical or Para-Medical
- Capacity to bring patient and public health at the core of the operation strategy.
- Specific knowledge desired :
- Emergency public health
- Response to epidemics
- Emergency vaccinations
- Response to severely malnourished populations
- Method of investigation, epidemiological monitoring
- Significant experience in general coordination (profile Medical Coordinator, Project Coordinator, Project Medical Referent…)
- Expertise in analyses of unstable context / crises situations
- Capacity to quickly evaluate an emergency and to propose an appropriate strategy of intervention
- General knowledge of MSF in emergency management
- Leadership & capacity to make priorities
- Capacity of analysis (Context & program)
- Capacity in coordination and organization.
- Diplomacy, openminded spirit.
- Availability, Flexibility and mobility.
- Capacity to negotiate and make decisions
- PSP training.
Professional experience required
- 2 years of field experience with MSF in a coordination role, who have had at least one mission in an emergency context with MSF Sections.
- OR; 2 years of experience with another International NGO, in an emergency contexts, as Medical Coordinator and at least one emergency mission with MSF.
Contract and other Benefits
- Field-based contract for one year, renewable.
- Per-diem on the field at the time of interventions
- Salary according to MSF experience
- Duration of the direct interventions on the field: from 4 weeks to 3 months (certain flexibility is asked in the event of needs)
- Other benefits according to the MSF WaCA policies.
- · Working proficiency in English and French
- Good Knowledge of Microsoft Office Productivity tools – Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, Sharepoint, Teams, Word
MSF offers equal recruitment and development opportunities without any form of discrimination based on gender, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity, geographical origin, physical disability or any other discriminatory ground.
Female candidates who meet the requirements are strongly encouraged to apply.
N.B.: This job description provides a framework for the main responsibilities and primary activities of the position. It is not exhaustive. Therefore, the responsibilities and activities of the position may differ from those described in this job description due to organizational and operational needs.
Deadline: 08th December 2023, 6pm (GMT)
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Job City Abidjan