The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world, providing relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. IRC has worked for over seven decades and today is involved in over 42 countries worldwide. We address both the immediate, lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post conflict societies. IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and thorough accountability to those we serve.
EH Infrastructure Assistant
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Gwoza, Nigeria
SCOPE OF WORK
The EH Water and Sanitation Assistant will report to the EH Officer – Water and Sanitation and will be primarily responsible for supervising all water and sanitation infrastructure works as directed by the EH Officer – Water and Sanitation.
The main objective of this position is to support the EH Officer-Water and Sanitation in supervision and direct management of safe water and sanitation provision activities. This will include field supervision of all construction and maintenance of water and sanitation infrastructure.
Ensure that the water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) activities in health facilities across Borno state are implemented in a timely and professional manner while considering client needs based on feedback received.
Maintain close links and collaboration with other EH teams and sectors and in particular Health, Nutrition, Protection, CYPD (Child and Youth Protection and Development), Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) and Economic Recovery and Development (ERD).
- Assist the EH/WASH team in the full implementation of water, sanitation infrastructure development and maintenance in Health Facilities of intervention.
- Participate in market surveys to support quotations by contractors and IRC team
- Assist in the complete assessment of health facilities marked for rehabilitation, reconstruction and restructuring.
- Assist in the Design, implement and maintenance of water, sanitation and the infrastructures in Health facilities of intervention.
- Field visits to the target Health facilities of intervention within the Local Governments of operations.
- Assist in the procurement and distribution processes of infection prevention and control materials (IPC) across Health facilities of intervention.
- Assist in the preparation of weekly, monthly and quarterly progress reports
- Assist in the training of health facility staffs on Infection Prevention and control (IPC) protocol.
- Co-facilitate and translate when needed, small and large community meetings to encourage full participation of Health facility staffs and Community Health Volunteers (CHVs)
- Assist in Coordinating activities with other partners and Government authorities such as Ministry of Rehabilitation, Reconstruction and Resettlement (MRRR), State Primary Health Care Development Agency (SPHCDA) etc.
- Carry out any other EH/WASH duties assigned by your supervisor
- Directly implements the construction of water supply infrastructures including but not limited to drilling of shallow and deep boreholes, installation of hand pumps, installation of solar submersible pumps, construction of elevated water storage tanks, trenching and piping for water supply reticulation systems, construction of well aprons and communal tap stands with appropriate drainage.
- Directly implements the construction and installation of sanitation facilities including but not limited to Communal latrines, house hold latrines, Solid waste pits/bins, Hand washing stations, Drainage, Menstrual Hygiene Management facilities and bathing shelters.
- Coordinate closely with the EH Officer (Water and Sanitation) and EH Officer (Hygiene Promotion) on water quantity, location of water sources/communal taps while considering beneficiary proposals and needs.
- Provide weekly reports of progress on the construction of water and sanitation facilities to EH Officer-Water and Sanitation.
- Seek guidance and approval from EH Officer – Water and Sanitation on any changes to approved designs for water supply including water trucking concerns.
- Maintain comprehensive control systems on materials and tools used including notes on quality of materials.
Staff Supervision & Development
- Assist the EH Officer – Water and Sanitation to identify, train and provide daily support to skilled and unskilled workers working in Water and Sanitation initial installations, operation and maintenance activities.
- Supervise skilled and unskilled workers
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable work teams to successfully complete their tasks on time and within budget
- Keep track of WASH components in healthcare facilities to ensure they are meeting their intended purpose.
- Daily volume of water supplied/delivered to location(s) including volumes and times of availability.
- Maintain records of number and location of all water collection points
- Maintain records of water quality monitoring.
- Routine O&M of water distribution system (s) and sanitation facilities including drainage around all water points and sanitation facilities.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns, incidents and feedback to the supervisor and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor for the development of IRC programs.
- B. Sc. /High National Diploma in Civil, Water Resources, Building/Architecture or Mechanical Engineering, Hydrogeology with hand on experience in developing and adopting emergency WASH technologies and designs experience in implementation of water and sanitation projects.
- Competent communication skills, effective in representation and liaison
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Sound knowledge of English language
- Competent user of MS Applications: Word, power point, outlook Excel; Auto CAD or similar
- Knowledge of the Local language-Hausa
Standards for Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
- Job City Borno State