Years of experience:
04 Jan 2020
Reporting directly to the Associate Research Scientist, the Staff Associate is responsible for document review and data management aspects of five nationally representative population-based surveys in sub-Saharan Africa designed to assess the impact of PEPFAR-supported HIV prevention, care and treatment programs. Works in conjunction with ICAP country teams and a sub-contracted research corporation to ensure the development and implementation of tablet and cloud-based systems to collect, manage and clean high-quality survey data. Provides support in this area to PEPFAR, Ministries of Health and ICAP country teams.
This position is grant-funded.
• Supports development of specification documents (including consent forms, questionnaires, other survey forms) to define requirements for tablet-based data collection.
• Reviews and identifies inconsistencies within specification documents and with other project materials (e.g. protocols, amendments, training materials, etc.), and liaises with the survey coordination team and ICAP country teams to resolve inconsistencies.
• Maintains and tracks document versions.
• Tests, identifies, and tracks errors that arise with data collection tools. Conducts data quality checks under guidance of Senior Data Manager.
• Drafts standard operating procedures for data management and data collection.
• Supports trainings of field teams on tablet usage for data collection.
• Provides remote and in-country support to ICAP country teams on data management aspects of the surveys, including training teams on using tablets and troubleshooting data collection challenges that arise with tablets.
• Performs other related duties as directed.
Bachelor’s degree in epidemiology, public health or related field and four years of related experience.
• Minimum four (4) years of related experience managing and working directly with data collection tools and databases from large research studies.
• Demonstrated experience designing and troubleshooting electronic data collection tools, especially tablets and mobile device data capture applications.
• Demonstrated experience conducting data quality checks.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint).
• Ability to work independently and manage various tasks under tight deadlines.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Strong writing and verbal communication skills.
• Master’s Degree in Epidemiology, Public Health, or related field.
• Demonstrated and successful experience managing and analyzing large, population-based survey data.
• Familiarity with data collection software such as Open Data Kit (ODK), CSPro, etc.
• Knowledge and experience working on issues related to HIV/AIDS.
• Proficiency working with data management systems in resource-limited settings.
• Experience working in resource-limited environments in sub-Saharan Africa a plus.
• Proficiency with SAS or STATA statistical software
• Requires periodic international travel to support data management and cleaning. Approximately three (3) to five (5) trips per year with each trip lasting approximately five (5) to ten (10) days each to Sub-saharan Africa