Employment Type: Full Time Job Description
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Deadline for submission: 19th January 2024
At Nutrition International, we make a difference, because nutrition is the difference.
Woven into the very fabric of our approach is the passion and drive of our global team of over 600 people, working in 13 offices across 11 countries with one common goal: transforming the lives of people who need it most through improved nutrition.
If you are a motivated and passionate individual who shares our conviction that a better world is possible through improved nutrition, wants to leave the world a little better than they found it, and is looking to be part of a global team with a clear vision, we want to hear from you. Please consider applying for the position below.
Know our team
Nutrition International implements high-impact and low-cost nutrition interventions in Ethiopia. NI’s program focus on the life cycle approach to improve the nutrition status of adolescents, mothers and children. Quality of care and nutrition information is the core aspects of NI’s program in Ethiopia.
About the role
Provide Overall leadership of the NI Country Team and program in Ethiopia. Lead the management of relations with the Government of Ethiopia and with other key local stakeholders. The Country Director will also oversee the work of the country team in developing, mobilizing resources for, managing, monitoring and reporting on NI programs in Ethiopia, and will manage NI’s country operations including ongoing compliance with legal and financial regulations in the country.
Key Duties and Responsibilities;
- Maintaining a thorough knowledge of the local landscape in terms of unmet national needs and opportunities for NI to have impact on nutrition and public health.
- Planning: developing and proposing costed country strategic, implementation, and annual operational plans which are informed by, and responsive to, needs and opportunities in the local landscape.
- Documentation: ensure that all planned and expected programming activities, costs and results with timelines are recorded and maintained up to date in NI’s systems (contracts database; BOARD; SharePoint etc.)
- Developing enabling agreements: consulting with key stakeholders and collaborating partners to agree management arrangements for planned program activities, including drafting Memoranda of Understanding or other documents that clarify the relative roles and expectations of NI and of other partners.
- Program Monitoring: monitoring progress of activities against annual operating plans, and against results and disbursement targets; accounting for variances and taking action to correct them.
- Program Coordination and Steering: convening or participating in program progress review meetings with Government and other key stakeholders; advocating for corrective actions by key stakeholders; proposing and/or negotiating adjustments to project plans and budgets as a result of steering decisions.
- Gender equality: Ensure NI programs mainstream gender equality according to NI’s global Program Gender Equality strategy. Oversee the implementation of Sex and Gender Based Analysis as needed and ensure follow up on any recommendations
- Financial resources: In close consultation with the Regional Finance Director, ensure that the financial resources in the Ethiopia country office cost centre are properly managed in line with NI’s Delegation of Authorities and within overall approved budgets.
- Performance Management: In close consultation with the Regional and HQ Office, provide vision and leadership for NI staff and consultants, ensure the effective performance management of NI staff and consultants in line with NI procedures and local legislation.
- IT Systems: In liaison with Regional Finance Director, ensure country IT systems are functional and effectively supporting country operations.
- Collaboration: lead the representation of NI at external meetings and on the process of building, maintaining and strengthening relationships with key stakeholders (including National, State and Local Government, private sector, donors, NGOs, academia and communities), and seek opportunities for collaboration.
- Master’s degree from a recognized university in management, international development, public health, nutrition or related area;
- Additional post graduate certification in project or general management desirable.
- At least 10 years’ experience in the management of complex programs in public health, nutrition, international development or a related field;
- Significant experience managing complex budgets in different currencies and large, diverse teams in progressively more senior leadership roles;
- At least 5 years’ experience in networking at a high level with international partners and country government, desirable;
- At least 5 years’ experience of working in Ethiopia; regional and/or global experience highly desirable;
- Understanding and experience managing operations in fragile and/or conflict contexts in Ethiopia or East Africa; and
- Previous experience as a Country Manager or Program Director or equivalent role in scope and responsibility for an international organization/NGO highly desirable
- Fluent written and spoken English; local languages desired
What we offer
A competitive market pay, health and dental benefits and pension plan, flexible work hours, four weeks of vacation (plus public holidays) and support for learning and development opportunities. We offer a collaborative and engaging work environment.
Nutrition International is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible work environment. Upon request, accommodations due to a disability are available throughout the selection process.
- Job City Addis Ababa