Years of experience:
02 Dec 2019
InterAction is the largest alliance of U.S.-based international development and humanitarian nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) working to eliminate extreme poverty, strengthen human rights and citizen participation, safeguard a sustainable planet, promote peace, and ensure dignity for all people.
InterAction serves as a convener and NGO community thought leader, working to mobilize our members and partners to collectively advocate for policies and solutions that advance the lives of people in the poorest and most marginalized conditions. Our members mobilize an estimated $15 billion of private funding from American citizens and implement development and humanitarian programs in nearly every country around the globe.
The Communications Intern will gain valuable insight into the world of non-profit public relations and communications by working directly with the InterAction Communications team. Overall responsibilities will include content development for online articles, fact-checking and research, assisting with the development of social media content, and helping the team with day-to-day tasks. Interns will be encouraged to participate in planning meetings and contribute their ideas to marketing & communications plans and initiatives. This unpaid internship is based out of our D.C. Headquarters.
· Develop creative content for all InterAction social media accounts, including Facebook and Twitter
· Writing for InterAction website and blog
· Monitoring web performance using Google Analytics
· Tracking, recording and logging InterAction media clips
· Helping plan and implement social media campaigns that inform and influence how people think about pivotal issues like the refugee crisis, ending poverty, and global health and nutrition.
· College junior, senior, or graduate student enrolled in a communications, public relations, journalism, English, international relations, graphic design or related degree program, or have recently obtained such a degree
· Strong writing and editing skills
· Interested in humanitarian relief and global development issues
· Passionate about storytelling and communications
· Talent for learning new skills quickly
· Creativity and willingness to contribute ideas
· Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
· Ability to work independently but also thrive in a team
· Self-motivated and flexible along with a can-do attitude
· Highly organized and detail-oriented in a fast-paced environment
· Multimedia, graphic design, video editing and photography skills desired, but not mandatory
· Must be able to work 20 or more hours a week
Expected Start Date:
Reports to: Creative and Digital Manager
· Will work out of InterAction’s DC offices
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.