Chief Technical Adviser
Years of experience:
01 Dec 2019
Overview of position
The Korean Hospital is located on the western perimeter of Bagram Air Field (BAF) in Parwan Province of Afghanistan. The facility comprises of 26 hospital beds, living quarters and a vocational school. The facility, which closed in 2015, was donated and staffed by the Republic of Korea and cared for nearly 300,000 patients as well as providing vocational training to more than 900 students. At its peak, the facility had a staff of 11 doctors – six from Korea and five from Afghanistan – who saw more than 200 patients a day from Bagram and as far as Kandahar.
Abandoned due to deteriorating security situation, the facility has fallen into a state of disrepair. Recently however, the Government of Korea requested the rehabilitation of the hospital facility along with all associated equipment to enable resumption of healthcare services. Once complete, the Afghanistan Ministry of Defense (MoD) will run the hospital providing medical services to the residents of Bagram and surrounding districts and the Afghan National Army, Police and their dependents.
Our client expect handover within 15 months of commencement of work. The CTA will be responsible for delivering the project, managing the project team and for coordination with Bagram Air Base, MoD, Resolute Support and other stakeholders.
Reports to the RSHQ Project Manager, the CTA leads and manages the BHRP to supervise the delivery of the BHRP rehabilitation work. The CTA will provide technical assistance, guidance and oversight in the implementation of the approved BHRP rehabilitation work components, per the approved design and technical specifications, to include the monitoring of the quantity, quality and HSSE of all work along with capacity building of national staff.
The CTA holds the following responsibilities:
· Project management of the BHRP project team and contractors for the rehabilitation program of the Bagram Hospital;
· Support the review of designs and technical specifications of work components and structures to ensure they are in accordance with established international (International Building Code) and our client standards;
· Support the review of calculation of quantities, estimation and preparation of Bill of Quantities for all rehabilitation components and structures to ensure they are in accordance with established and applicable international standards;
· Oversee, advise and providing technical support and quality assurance on the implementation of works involving all rehabilitation components and structures;
· Oversee QA/QC site visits and materials testing reports to ensure sampling, testing and inspection of materials are carried out regularly and works are implemented in compliance with the approved design technical specifications;
· Support the PM for approval of design changes as deemed necessary;
· Provide technical advice and assistance to contractors to ensure that economical and quality materials are purchased;
· Support monitoring and oversight for implementation of works, including site visits as appropriate, providing guidance and developing approaches to enhance outputs and quality of works undertaken;
· Provide advice on best suitable approaches and methodologies for the timely achievement of project targets and objectives;
· Planning of project activities to ensure that the rehabilitation program is completed on time, within budget and to a high quality standard;
· Draft or review, as necessary, ToRs for technical consultancies and sub-contracts, and assist in the selection and recruitment processes;
· Undertake technical review and provide quality assurance of project outputs (e.g. technical reports, studies and assessments);
· Assist in monitoring the technical quality of project M&E systems (including AWPs, indicators and targets);
· Assist staff and consultants in the conduct of project reviews and evaluations, and in revisions of the implementation strategy and work plan, based on review and evaluation results;
· Make recommendations to the Project Board for more effective implementation and coordination of project activities as necessary;
· Ensure that the BHRP project team provides administrative and financial reporting as required;
· Provide advice and assist in knowledge management, communications and awareness-raising, and document lessons learned from project implementation;
· Make regular written and verbal reports as required.
Planning, Monitoring, Reporting and Progress Controls
To provide Technical Assistance, oversight and training/capacity building to help assure:
· Assist in the preparation of detailed Quarterly Plans and all supporting documentation;
· Assist in the preparation of Quarterly Status Reports for internal distribution and Quarterly Progress Reports for external distribution;
· Regular technical meetings are held to coordinate rehabilitation and structure works, work plans are updated and where necessary corrective actions are implemented;
· Daily/weekly progress meetings are held with the team management for reporting on progress and completion of work streams according to project planning and requirements;
· Technical documentation is to the required approved design and technical specifications;
· Ensure the engagement of all relevant provisions of our client Project Management Manual (PMM), Gender Mainstreaming in Projects and Health & Safety and Social & Environmental Management (HSSE).
· To support the implementation and substantial completion for the rehabilitation works:
· All rehabilitation components and structures are implemented to expected quality and standards and documented;
· All required technical documents are properly archived;
· All rehabilitation designs and construction are in adherence to established and applicable international standards, and use of materials is in accordance with technical specifications applicable to the designs and BoQ;
· Specifications are adhered to by the works contractor;
• Master’s Degree in Building Construction, Construction Management, Civil Engineering or related relevant discipline is required.
• Applicants with a Bachelor’s degree with 9 years of relevant professional experience may be considered.
• Applicants with Technical/Professional Diploma Certification in building construction, carpentry, concreting, plumbing and electrical engineering with 9 years of experience may well be considered.
• Project Management Certification (for example PRINCE2®) or Project Management Professional (PMP®) is desirable.
• Seven years’ experience in construction management or similar, managing or supervising construction activities on a range of large and diverse construction projects requiring the coordination of multiple contractors and multiple trades simultaneously.
• Experience managing construction projects in remote, unsupported camp type environments.
• Demonstrated ability to deliver projects on time, within budget and in a demanding cultural context with government partners under challenging physical conditions and poor national infrastructure.
• Extensive experience implementing works under complex quality and health and safety plans is essential.
• Experience directing and mentoring technical trades’ personnel is essential.
• Experience in the UN system organizations is desirable.
• Fluency in written and oral English is required