Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Location: Michika, Adamawa
- The overall responsibility for this position is to supervise and coordinate the implementation of AVR activities (Community Safety Planning, Conflict Management, Dialogue Facilitation, Youth Engagement), mobilization and supervision of AVR officers and ensuring project targets and objectives are achieved.
- Produce work plans for the sector staff in accordance with the annual planning cycle
- Train staff and provide regular updates of work planning and reporting against SMART objectives.
- Oversee the performance of the AVR team.
- Provide field supervision to Officers and Facilitators
- Represent the AVR team at the base level and participate in facilitating and coordinating activities within the team and with other DRC’s departments
Implementation and Planning:
- Coordinate with the Finance, Procurement Officers and other sectors of DRC/DDG to ensure proper management of AVR planning and implementation.
- Serve as the main contact for AVR activities in DRC Maiduguri and Mubi/Michika operations, and work closely with partners in ensuring high-quality standards in DRC AVR sector operations.
- Ensure team adoption of technical guidelines, SoPs, handbooks and other programme guidance provided by the AVR Program Manager, DDG HOP and AMs in Borno and Adamawa states.
- Ensure that AVR Officers and Facilitators implement project activities within the budget limits and in line with good budget management and accountability procedures in consultation with AVR Program Manager, APMs and AMs
- Support AVR Officers and Facilitators in ensuring activities implementation is done in compliance with DRC/Donor quality procedures
- Closely monitor the implementation of AVR activities according to project work plans, identify any problems that may affect the achievement of intended outputs and results; by pragmatically and constructively dealing with them early enough
- In coordination with field staff, ensure that vulnerable groups (especially women and youths) are actively involved during discussions and the decision making processes;
- Organize and manage workshops, training and meetings that are hosted by the sector with relevant partners—beneficiary households, state representatives and CSOs
Sector Reporting & Documentation:
- Provide regular internal reports and other relevant information on programme activities to the sector staff and other relevant persons.
- Ensure that a sound documentation procedure is adhered to, including relevant beneficiary database is developed, maintained and updated regularly.
- Ensure update-to-date records (disaggregated by gender/age/diversity) are maintained for all beneficiaries of AVR activities.
- Ensure the use of developed relevant manuals/tool kits and training curriculums that can be used in training beneficiaries
- Ensure that a sound complaint handling and feedback mechanism is in place in the project area so that beneficiaries have easy access to DRC and that the Do-No-Harm principle to persons of concern/beneficiaries at the point of delivery is upheld.
- Lead weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting for AVR activities in Borno and Adamawa states.
- Actively contribute to project planning, development of proposals and documentation of lessons learned, best practices and success stories.
- Lead the identification of beneficiaries needs using both technical skills and knowledge of the operational context
- Engage and build strong and better relations with all community leaders, Local Government Council structures and State Government line ministries for the enhancement of DRC/ Donor overall program objectives.
- Represent the AVR program/sector during meetings with stakeholders such as local communities, local and State government officials.
- Proactively seek new partnerships with like-minded CSOs and INGOs
- Promote and ensure at all times a pragmatic and efficient dialogue as well as networking with Local Institution, Private Institutes, workshops, National and international NGOs and local authorities
- Coordinate with the rest of the country team whenever needed
- Liaise with relevant line ministries during project implementation i.e. Ministry of Interior, SEMA and State security departments.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Actively participate in monthly Budget review meetings and ensure all AVR activities status are updated and submitted to the Area Manager/AVR Program Manager.
- Work with M&E to manage all AVR data collection exercises including the conduction of assessment and surveys (e.g. baseline surveys, yield assessment, do-no-harm surveys etc.) in close coordination with the Country M&E unit to monitor and evaluate AVR projects activities;
- Work closely with M&E unit to identify, document and disseminate relevant project success, challenges and follow up on the implementation of project’s action points
- Support the undertaking of detailed situational analysis in collaboration with relevant stakeholder and propose appropriate project implementation approaches
- Supervise the implementation of all participatory needs/vulnerability and capacity assessments of affected communities
- Participate in project evaluations and assist in the analysis of results
Administration & logistics:
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements regarding programming implementation and asset management.
- Support sector team with logistics arrangements to facilitate effective programming.
- Provide timely expenditure planning & budget follow-ups with guidance from the Area Manager, DDG HOP and the AVR Program Manager.
- Ensure DRC financial procedures, guidelines and corruption control is maintained among the team.
- Initiate procurements and ensuring adherence to correct procurement and logistical procedures and in coordination with the Logistics department. Support the timely procurement of project materials.
- Directly responsible for supervising AVR Officers and Facilitators are hired to facilitate the implementation of sectoral activities.
- Responsible for contributing to recruitment planning, actual recruitment of required field staff in consultation with AVR Program Manager, Area Manager, HOP and HR.
- Contribute to the management of safety and security by adhering to established protocols
- Take good care of all assigned equipment’s, including computers and communication equipment
- Attend training as requested by DRC/DDG
- Any other relevant duties as requested by AVR Manager
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- At least 3-4 years of relevant professional Peace Building/Community Safety experience with a humanitarian aid organization
- Understanding of AVR programming issues in the country and the North East Nigeria region
- Experiencing managing teams
- Good computer skills (especially Ms Office)
- Understanding of rights and protection issues of IDPs, children and women
- Experience working with displaced populations.
- Experience in working with women and familiar with UNSC Resolution 1325- Women Peace and Security.
- Experience working with Youth.
- Availability: ASAP
- Salary and conditions: In accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for tax returns.
- Job City Adamawa