ITU HQ Geneva
ITU is the leading United Nations agency for information and communication technologies, with the mission to connect the world. To achieve this, ITU manages the radio-frequency spectrum and satellite orbits at the international level, works to improve communication infrastructure in the developing world, and establishes global standards that foster seamless interconnection of a vast range of communication systems. ITU also organizes global Telecom events bringing together the most influential representatives of government and the private sector to exchange ideas and knowledge for the benefit of all.
VACANCY NOTICE Nº 22G-2019/SG-IS/EXTERNAL/G5
Date of Issue: 18 November 2019
Applications from women are encouraged
Functions: Audiovisual Assistant
Post Number: IS09/G5/327
Deadline for Applications (23.59 Geneva CH) : 9 December 2019
Duration of Contract: 2 years with possibility of renewal for 2 additional years
Type of Appointment: Fixed-term Appointment
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
The General Secretariat directs all the administrative and financial aspects of the Union’s activities, including the implementation of the provisions of the administrative regulations on operational questions, the dissemination of information on telecommunication matters for operational and other purposes, the provision of legal advice to the Bureaux of the Union and the departments of the General Secretariat, logistic support to the Union’s activities including conferences, the coordination of the work of the Union with other international organizations, the dissemination of information to the Member States and Sector Members, press, corporate and individual users of telecommunications and the general public. The General Secretariat is also responsible for the organization of world telecommunication exhibitions and forums.
Within the General Secretariat, the Information Services Department (IS) is the focal point for the ITU information technology services, managing ERP, CRM, documents, information systems and infrastructure, service-desk, library, archives and information management services, safety and security (both physical and logical), to support staff both at Headquarters and in the Field, as well as delegates attending conferences, meetings and events world-wide. It also promotes ICT collaboration, partnerships and information-sharing and represents ITU in inter-organization meetings and committees related to information technology and security management.
Duties / Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Supervisor of the Audiovisual Section within the Conference and Technology Support Division, the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Checks, repairs, programmes and sets up simultaneous interpretation equipment.
- Checks, repairs, programmes and sets up audiovisual equipment in conference rooms.
- Liaises with external companies – requests for quotations, placing of orders and reception of new equipment.
- As required, sets up public address facilities for events within ITU.
- Sets up and monitors the progress of videoconferences and, more generally, remote participation systems.
- Trains and oversees operators during conferences.
- Maintains documentation relating to audiovisual equipment.
- Organizes the daily workplan for operational and maintenance units in the absence of the Supervisor of the Audiovisual Section.
- Assists the supervisor in the preparation of budget estimates and keeps the inventory records up to date.
- Provides all manner of technical advice in the interests of enhancing the audiovisual service.
- Performs any other duties relating to audiovisual services, as required.
- Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Essential Functional Competencies: Planning and Organizing, and; Client and Service Orientation.
- Essential Technical Competencies: Thorough practical knowledge of electronic facilities, in particular the simultaneous interpretation equipment and multimedia systems used in conference rooms. Knowledge in the programming of TELEVIC and BOSCH systems. CRESTRON certification or a very good knowledge of programming would be an additional asset, as would DSP and Dante programming. Ability to plan and organize the work of a team from both the technical and administrative points of view. Ability to exercise sound judgement under stressful conditions. Knowledge and experience of using software running on Windows and Office.
Complete secondary education with a diploma OR complete equivalent technical or commercial studies with a diploma. For internal candidates, obligatory schooling in combination with ten years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of complete secondary education with a diploma for promotion or rotation purposes.
At least five years of experience in the field of the post. (A maximum of three years of studies in the field of the post and in a recognized school may replace the required experience on the basis of one year of education for one year of experience.)
Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage.
Annual Salary (Net of Tax)
75,084.- CHF – 99,854.- CHF without dependants.
According to ITU Staff Regulations and Rules, appointments to posts in the General Service category are subject to local recruitment conditions.
Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for written test. Interviews may be used as a form of screening.
For further information concerning the Conditions of Employment please click the following link
Applicants will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration
ITU is a smoke-free environment