ASSISTANT COUNTRY DIRECTOR – PROGRAM QUALITY
11 Jan 2020
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE is seeking an experienced Assistant Country Director (ACD) – Program Quality who will be responsible for ensuring that CARE’s new and long-term programs in Côte d’Ivoire and Guinea contribute to CARE’s global and regional vision, mission and programmatic principles. The ACD will be responsible for maintaining and building upon CARE’s existing long-term programming and integrating humanitarian interventions in line with CARE’s mandate that contribute to and complement CARE’s long-term programming in the West Africa region.
In this role, the Assistant Country Director – PQ will be expected to provide strategic leadership in the areas of program development, implementation, quality programming, advocacy, and ensure that CARE’s programs bring a significant contribution to reducing poverty and social injustice. S/he will also play a leading role in the transformation of CARE Cote d’Ivoire/Guinea into CARE’s program approach.
The ACD – PQ will oversee a multi-sectoral team working on key areas like Community Development, Women Empowerment, Access to basic services, Peace Building/Social Cohesion and Nutrition. S/He will lead the development of new and innovative initiatives and will be responsible for ensuring a sound coordination with the projects/program’s teams across Cote d’Ivoire and Guinea.
The postholder will provide technical leadership to Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) and learning; gender and GED and ensure the use of best programming practices in Cote d’Ivoire and Guinea country programs and learning deriving from the regional program leadership team.
The ACD -PQ will provide the leadership required to the development of Cote d’Ivoire and Guinea country programs, including building qualified and experience teams. This person is a key member of CARE Cote d’Ivoire/ Guinea Country Management Team. S/He participates in developing partnerships and good relations with partners (Hosting Governments, donors, INGOs).
- Program development and resource mobilization
- Program quality and management
- Staff management
- Strategy development
- Financial and administrative management
- Advocacy, partnerships and external relations
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, International development or any relevant field
- Eight (8) years of progressive experience abroad in humanitarian and development programs
- Substantial experience in managing humanitarian programs and large and complex development
- Demonstrated experience in managing emergency response
- Demonstrated experience in strategic and operational planning
- Past experience with CARE, particularly participation or leadership in the program-to-program change process highly preferred
- Knowledge and experience of humanitarian and development policies and advocacy in complex environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, both in English and in French
- Expanded conceptual skills, including the development of the program strategy
- Demonstrated skills in program design (including proposal development), implementation and evaluation
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills and strong negotiation skills